• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G Pulchripes question

Oredhel

Hello everyone! My G Pulchripes recently passed due to a bad molt. She borrowed herself (she was a big sling, almost juvenile) and when nothing happened after a month i decided to open the borrow to see if everything was ok and i found her with all her legs stuck in the molt. I tried to release the legs beeing extra careful and even knowing that she wouldn't be able to walk, but since she was alive i thougth she might have a chance. She survived but didn't eat or drink and died a few weeks after that. Very sad. Don't really understand what happened: i was keeping her like my other t's and she was doing fine until that molt (humidity, feeding, etc).
But since i really like the golden knees i bought another tiny sling, and now she is doing the same. Borrowed herself like two weeks ago and nothing is happening inside the enclosure. Should i leave her alone? Should i check? i don want to freak out but i'm concerned because i'm not sure what could be the problem. i also have a t albo, a pulchra, a boehmei, an auratum, one avic avic and a gbb and they are all ok and molting without any issues. It could be just bad luck? i mean the g pulchripes suposed to be hardy can't understand what could be affecting them and not the others. Thx for reading! Greetings to everyone from Argentina =)

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What do you have you sling in that you cant see what's happening in the burrow from the sides?
Maybe having them in a smaller (More narrow) clear enclosure will help keep an eye on them without having to dig in the burrow?

Oredhel

What do you have you sling in that you cant see what's happening in the burrow from the sides?
Maybe having them in a smaller (More narrow) clear enclosure will help keep an eye on them without having to dig in the burrow?
It is a small deli cup. I dont believe it is too big for her, but i put a little hide in it and she cover the entrance with substrate and didn't really burrow a lot but i can't see. Maybe that was a mistake i thought she would feel more safe.

Oredhel

Slings can burrow and stay for months. Make sure there's moisture available and things should work out.
thx for the answer! i was waiting for her to came out without disturbing the enclosure in case she was molting, but today i followed your advice and opened the lid to put some water in.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is a small deli cup. I dont believe it is too big for her, but i put a little hide in it and she cover the entrance with substrate and didn't really burrow a lot but i can't see. Maybe that was a mistake i thought she would feel more safe.
No, you're probably on the right track. They must have burrowed in the perfect spot so you cand see. What a rood spood. XD