• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchripes has only eaten 4 times in 10 month. Should i be worried?

Slothiee

I got my G.P. in June last year as a Juvenile, curently they are at around 7cm diag leg span. I fed them twice last year and then they burrowed for 2 month after closing the opening to the burrow. They then came out and accepted food once and then sealed the burrow again for 4 month they then came out recently and accepted food then sealed the burrow once again having now not been seen for another month.

All 4 times the food item was a meal worm I'm worried they arent getting enough food or there is some reason he always stays burrowed but I'm not sure what it could be.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
My experience with G pulchripes isn't very extensive but I dont necessarily think this timeline is itself worrisome if there's no other issue. A big meal can last quite a while. What happens when you offer food now? Nothing?

I got my G.P. in June last year as a Juvenile, curently they are at around 7cm diag leg span. I fed them twice last year and then they burrowed for 2 month after closing the opening to the burrow. They then came out and accepted food once and then sealed the burrow again for 4 month they then came out recently and accepted food then sealed the burrow once again having now not been seen for another month.

All 4 times the food item was a meal worm I'm worried they arent getting enough food or there is some reason he always stays burrowed but I'm not sure what it could be.
This is what happens when you provide the proper enclosure & conditions...your T is happy and comfortable...in nature T's also feed on things underground...your T may be extremely comfortable waiting for a meal to come along underground...I occasionally wet the entrance and open the hole placing a pre-killed food offering right @ the open hole entrance...they usually take it & close back the hole...hope this helps