• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frustrating some times.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nope. Red Runners. You need to be very cautious when you select a roach species to colonize for food. Especially if you live in the warmer climes like AZ or FL. I have done a ton of research on this (although I probably won't get to use it :(). Runners are a great food source but can fly and can reproduce in the home. Stay clear unless you are a pro. Dubias are the best choice IMO other than the burrowing in the substrate issue which can be avoided by tong feeding (or the crushing of its head which I have yet to test).

I actually crush the heads of all of my dubia before feeding them out. It's nasty, don't get me wrong, but it seems to eliminate the burrowing. Once the head is crushed, they tend to wander around like zombies, making them easy pickings for the Ts.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually crush the heads of all of my dubia before feeding them out. It's nasty, don't get me wrong, but it seems to eliminate the burrowing. Once the head is crushed, they tend to wander around like zombies, making them easy pickings for the Ts.

Does sound nasty. But may have to try it. Thanks.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Will wait a few more weeks for my Dubia colony to get larger then will give it a go. Do you crush the head with the tweezers? or hand?

I have a long set of tweezers with broad tips that I use. When I take a dubia out of the enclosure, I lay it on it's back (they'll usually spin a bit before going still), grab it by the head, and squeeze. It's gross...no joke. However, it's taken so much of the frustration out of using them.