• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fruit fly media?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is anyone here producing their own fruit flies?

I have been looking around & media seems to be rather a dark art. Instant potatoes, mashed banana, white vinegar, orange juice instead of water. Oatmeal. Commercially available medias.

What are others here using? I am currently looking at some media on ebay from someone I have brought fruit flies off before. It is not too expensive, about £1 per pot & if it's what they use, then I know it's good.

TokeHound

I bought a flightless fruit fly culture and most are self sustaining. The culture comes with adult flies, larva, eggs, and food for everyone in the culture. I only have one Tarantula that eats that small of prey so the culture lasts forever. That's just me tho

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I bought a flightless fruit fly culture and most are self sustaining.....The culture lasts forever.

Really? Every time I have used fruit flies they have failed after a month or so & my understanding was that it is normal to need to keep making new cultures every few weeks.

TokeHound

So, what I was told by a shop keeper was that they only live for 28 days. I bought a new culture, and all of the flies died in 2 days (idk why) then in a week, the culture was filled with all new flies again. And I bought this culture about 2 weeks ago

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, what I was told by a shop keeper was that they only live for 28 days. I bought a new culture, and all of the flies died in 2 days (idk why) then in a week, the culture was filled with all new flies again. And I bought this culture about 2 weeks ago

It sounds like you brought a new culture. The media is made & placed at the bottom & then some fruit flies added. Those flies lay eggs in the media & it is the flies from those eggs which will last a month. After that period, the flies will die off & you will need a new culture. Or that is my understanding, of how it works.

TokeHound

It sounds like you brought a new culture. The media is made & placed at the bottom & then some fruit flies added. Those flies lay eggs in the media & it is the flies from those eggs which will last a month. After that period, the flies will die off & you will need a new culture. Or that is my understanding, of how it works.
Oh, I see. This is new for me. Learning something new every day :)

TokeHound

The following is the best I have found.

Ohhh I see what you mean now! I apologize for jumping the gun. Pretty neat. I would definitely do this if I had a lot more slings, but I only have 3, and only my dwarf sling takes fruit flies. Thanks for showing me that!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An update.

I have now made several cultures using the above YouTube recipe & the results have been good.

Latest posts