• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fleas - help!

Skitz1303

My dog after 11 years has fleas for the 1st time we’ve Used Advantage spot on for her but now looking for something we can use on the lounge carpets. My Chilean Rose has just moulted and my Nicaraguan Curly Hair is in pre-moult so I don’t want to chance moving either of them just now. Any recommendations on t-friendly flea treatments please? Don’t mind if it’s spray or powder, as long as it’s effective and won’t hurt my 8 legged babies!!!

MBullock

3 Year Member
those things like advantage are a scam.

Diatomaceous earth will work for carpets, you can brush it into the carpet with a broom, and that will destroy any flea pupae in your carpet. THe actual problem itself is coming from outside.

Fleas are generally coming from your backyard, as the larval stage requires some kind of medium to burrow into.

applying diatomaceous earth to cracks and corners where dust builds up will help too.

There are nematodes you can spray onto your yard to eradicate fleas, predatory, not parasitic, so you wont have to worry about your tarantula.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Why do you feel it’s a scam. I found is to effective enough that we didn’t need to bother with powders or carpet treatment anymore. And I live in flea paradise.
because eradicating the actual problem stops the need for any of those things. otherwise you're just putting a band-aid over a festering lesion lol. I'm not gonna demonize you for using it or anything, if it works for you, it works.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
because eradicating the actual problem stops the need for any of those things.

You Canute be serious? No one can be expected to stop a flea issue at source. Dogs collect fleas whilst out on walks. That is like believing that you can stop the tide from coming in.

For example. I walk my dogs everyday in a large country estate & generally meet up with other dog walkers, our dogs mingle & play together. Plus our dogs are in a several hundred acres of grassland & woodland. And even when I walk my dogs around the housing estate, my dogs can still acquire fleas from outside my home.

My dog after 11 years has fleas for the 1st time we’ve Used Advantage spot on for her but now looking for something we can use on the lounge carpets.

Try to vacuum your carpet more than once a day & as thoroughly as you can. That will help to reduce the fleas & when we had our Scottish Terrier, the flea treatments helped, but he still needed a collar too sometimes. Just make sure the collar uses different ingredients to Advantage. My vet also recommended using a flea collar in the vacuum cleaner. There is some debate about the effectiveness of flea collars in vacuum cleaners, but every little helps.

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
My dog after 11 years has fleas for the 1st time we’ve Used Advantage spot on for her but now looking for something we can use on the lounge carpets. My Chilean Rose has just moulted and my Nicaraguan Curly Hair is in pre-moult so I don’t want to chance moving either of them just now. Any recommendations on t-friendly flea treatments please? Don’t mind if it’s spray or powder, as long as it’s effective and won’t hurt my 8 legged babies!!!
VACUUM, VACUUM, VACUUM!!!!!

MBullock

3 Year Member
You Canute be serious? No one can be expected to stop a flea issue at source. Dogs collect fleas whilst out on walks. That is like believing that you can stop the tide from coming in.

For example. I walk my dogs everyday in a large country estate & generally meet up with other dog walkers, our dogs mingle & play together. Plus our dogs are in a several hundred acres of grassland & woodland. And even when I walk my dogs around the housing estate, my dogs can still acquire fleas from outside my home.

Try to vacuum your carpet more than once a day & as thoroughly as you can. That will help to reduce the fleas & when we had our Scottish Terrier, the flea treatments helped, but he still needed a collar too sometimes. Just make sure the collar uses different ingredients to Advantage. My vet also recommended using a flea collar in the vacuum cleaner. There is some debate about the effectiveness of flea collars in vacuum cleaners, but every little helps.
to be fair 99% of people dont live in several hundred acres of grassland and woodland, i was under the impression OP was an urban dweller with a small yard.

In the vast majority of cases the person's home is re-infesting the dog. Mainly the backyard

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
to be fair 99% of people dont live in several hundred acres of grassland and woodland, i was under the impression OP was an urban dweller with a small yard.

In the vast majority of cases the person's home is re-infesting the dog. Mainly the backyard

I don't live in parkland either & neither do any of the 20 or so other dog walkers I meet on a regular basis. Even walking around residential streets is a potential cause for an infestation. Unless your dog/cat is confined to it's home, then they are going to come across fleas.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member

Over several decades I have had 7 Shelties (a.k.a., Shetland sheepdogs). During that time I have been living in a motorhome (see attachment), and been making annual migrations between western Canada and the Sunbelt of the USA. I've stayed in some pretty ratty, cat and flea infested RV parks; northern coniferous forests; hot, dry deserts; Gulf Coast swamps; and a lot of other places in between that were all guaranteed flea hatcheries!

One of my greater concerns has been that my dogs would contract a heartworm infestation. As a result, I have made it a firm habit of treating the dogs with a heartworm medication, Revolution, based on a drug called selamectin.

During that period, there were only one or two instances when I found only a single flea on the dogs. I've never experienced a flea infestation in my carpets or other places throughout my motorhome.

And I've never had any reason to believe that I'd ever lost any of my tarantulas due to the use of this medication.

Note that you must either acquire this medication from a certified veterinarian, or by means of a prescription written by a certified veterinarian. Similarly, you should discuss proper means of applying this medication, as well as the proper dosage with a certified veterinarian.

Note as well, that allowing tarantulas and other arachnids and insects to contact any of the avermectin class drugs will almost surely result in the deaths of these creatures. BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN TO THOROUGHLY WASH YOUR HANDS AND ANY EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS, OR IMPLEMENTS AFTER USING ANY OF THESE DRUGS AND BEFORE HANDLING ANY EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS, OR IMPLEMENTS TO BE USED AROUND YOUR ARACHNID OR INSECT PETS AS WELL AS THE PETS THEMSELVES!

Furthermore, note there are similar drugs (e.g., ivermectin) sold under different brand names that may or may not also work to prevent flea infestations in dogs. Be sure to discuss these with your veterinarian before trying to use them, as well.

Lastly, I hereby certify that what I have reported in this posting is correct and true to the best of my knowledge. I further certify that I have received NO payment, other remuneration, or considerations as a result of reporting this information.

Be kind to your little eight-legged buddies, for they may outlive you!

Stan

Attachments

• Dog and Doghouse-0130.jpg
    Dog and Doghouse-0130.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts