• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time rehousing a tarantula.

intense

It's the first time I rehoused a tarantula, it's a Tliltocatl Vagans. Was i right to do so? Also i had to use coco chips instead of coco fiber but I tried to break them up thoroughly. Here is a video so you can see the tarantula the substrate and the enclosure, note that you can't see the full size of the tarantula cause it doesn't have it's legs extended.

Attachments

• VID_20210702_094815.mp4
    11 MB

intense

Hi, can you maybe give the size of your tarantula? As for the substrate, coco chips aren't ideal, but in your situation it should work as a TEMPORARY substitute
I cannot measure the tarantula cause I just got it so I don't have a molt measure, also this is the only substrate I had available, I've been told today that soil is an option so I might switch to soil in the future.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And may I add that a hide and a piece of plastic plant could be beneficial :)
Yes definitely. Especially the hide, a dark place it can go to feel secure, cool off. I am fairly new to this too, but @intense what kind of soil will you be using? Some can contain elements that may not be so good for tarantulas. Others with more experience can tell you. But I would think the simpler the better, at least to start out with.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What you have is probably fine. Your T will burrow and web to support its burrow. You can add a little hunk of cork bark and make a starter burrow; my slings rarely use them when I do and opt to make their own burrows.

I use a combo of cocofoir and peat but what you have should work. Avoid wood chips sold commercially as they may contain woods like redwood that have natural insecticide-type oils that are harmful to Ts.

Welcome to the hobby OP, and all newbs/new members on this thread

intense

What you have is probably fine. Your T will burrow and web to support its burrow. You can add a little hunk of cork bark and make a starter burrow; my slings rarely use them when I do and opt to make their own burrows.

I use a combo of cocofoir and peat but what you have should work. Avoid wood chips sold commercially as they may contain woods like redwood that have natural insecticide-type oils that are harmful to Ts.

Welcome to the hobby OP, and all newbs/new members on this thread
Thank youu

Latest posts