• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First tarantula, I need some advice!

venus.chr

Hello all, I am a first time tarantula owner with a pink toe, I’m not sure of her gender (she hasn’t molted yet) but I’ve been referring to her as a female anyway, and although I can’t be sure until she molts I think she seems more like a female.

Anyways, I was feeding her regularly for about a month after I got her and she always ate, but a few weeks ago she started refusing food—she’s pretty young so I thought maybe premolt? However, she hasn’t made a single web in the inclosure. This morning I woke up and checked on her and she’s just chilling on the ground, definitely alive but just chillin down there, is that normal?

I’m not sure how long “premolt” lasts, I have been trying to feed her every now and then and she continues to refuse food, she’s not skinny or anything so I’m not super worried, but I have read that avics molt in webs, and she still doesn’t have any! And now, I’m worried about why she’s on the ground, any advice?

GarField000

3 Year Member
I think she will molt.
You can post a picture of her (i say her to all my t's until I know it's a male) full enclosure and see if we can think about a tip. She might not be feeling at home and needs to settle in. But if she already ate a few times I think it's just premolt.
Does she have a waterdish?

venus.chr

I think she will molt.
You can post a picture of her (i say her to all my t's until I know it's a male) full enclosure and see if we can think about a tip. She might not be feeling at home and needs to settle in. But if she already ate a few times I think it's just premolt.
Does she have a waterdish?
This is her enclosure
IMG_3351.jpeg

It is 12x12x18 I believe, she has a water dish but due to it being cold I’ve had her heater on more often (I live in a very cold state) & thus I’ve been misting more as I notice the humidity goes down faster. I usually only mist her cage when I notice that it’s falling into the 50-60% range, I know that a. avic humidity needs are debated, but she’s been happy and healthy as long as I’ve head had her, so that’s just what works for her I guess ‍♀️
As of now, she is still chilling down beneath one of her fake plants, not showing any signs of molting yet. Is that normal?

GarField000

3 Year Member
It's a large enclosure, i hope the spider is not very small?
Instead the what you have now on the bottom some substrate where she can dig in would be better.
It also holds humidity better. Althought you can't do that without removing her and if she is molting that's not a smart thing yet :). So wait with that a bit.

Arboreal spiders like to hide. She can't hide in the tree's so she might do that under the trees. I always use rounded corkbark for them to go inside so they feel save. Or half rounded and put it to the backside so they can choose.
I also put some spagnem moss in it. If they want to create a dirt curtain they can use the moss and the dirt for building that. In your enclosure with that woodstuff she can't do that.

2023-11-01 11.16.53.jpg

This one made the left tree it's home even the right tube has more room.
(this is a smaller encosure for my juvi, 8x8x12).

I must say for avic it's hard for me to see when they molt. Because off the long hair and they don't get a fat ass like brachy.

Rasp

Might stick some foliage near the top. I wouldn’t worry a tree tank being too big. Spiders live in the wild. As long as it can catch food.

GarField000

3 Year Member
Might stick some foliage near the top. I wouldn’t worry a tree tank being too big. Spiders live in the wild. As long as it can catch food.
I agree, but if it's very small it's hard to see if it feeds of if it can find it's food.
You might get these things I read where they catchcup the spider to feed it.

If it can't hide it won't feel save no matter how big or small the terra is.

Latest posts