• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Finding Black Widows In CT

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
black widow are up there, males roam around so it's hit or miss, females hide during the day and come out to their Web at night.

See if this helps:
http://www.eliminateem.com/spiders/poisonous-spiders-in-connecticut/
BLACK WIDOW SPIDER
One spider that you may find here, even though it is rare, is the Northern Black Widow. The females are the ones who have a venomous bite. Although this poisonous species prefers the safety of their web to human contact, they will attack with deadly force if provoked. Bite victims should seek medical attention right away. The males of the species are harmless and oftentimes smaller.

The Northern Black Widow spiders have a distinct appearance. They are glossy jet-black and marked with a bright-red hourglass marking on the underside of their abdomen. They may also have a line of red dots on its abdomen, with white rib-like stripes along the side of the abdomen. A female Northern Black Widow can be about 0.12 to 0.39 inches.

http://pestcollc.com/Spider-Control-CT.php

Black-Widow-Spider-CT.jpg
Black Widow:

The Northern Black Widow is found throughout the eastern United States, including Connecticut. While their territory overlaps that of the equally venomous Southern Black Widow spider, Connecticut is home to only the northern species. More specifically, the Black Widow will often build its nest in dark corners where it is protected from the elements. Webs can be found under rocks, logs or lawn furniture, and in corners of sheds, garages and barns.
Black widow spiders inhabit almost every state in the United States, including Connecticut. Female black widows are the easiest to recognize with their bulbous abdomens and distinctive hourglass red marking. Males have more elongated abdomens, and instead of an hourglass, have red and white designs on their sides. You can commonly find black widows in basements, woodpiles or under other man-made structures. The severity of a black widow's bite depends on the physical condition of the individual who is bit. Children and elderly individuals are more likely to have serious symptoms, such as chest pain, fainting, elevated heart rate, elevated blood pressure and respiratory complications.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When i was doing entomology during school we'd find them around here in shadowed areas, in the eaves of houses, barns, under debris, etc. They're really good at hiding.

See if there's an outhouse around, they used to be called the outhouse spider back in the 40s and 50s until most everywhere had plumbing. Bites were most common when someone used the outhouse as all the bugs gathering around the stink offered lots of food.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I find them in abandoned traffic cones, dark, secluded corners between buildings, and the very best place I've found in the heat of the summer is my road box for my water shut off valve to my property. One year I think I counted seven in it, if I remember correctly. Anyplace dark and quiet. I have two in my shop. Attics, basements, under mobile homes..seek, and ye shall find. :)

Rmac88

3 Year Member
I found them all the time in cable boxes attatched to people's houses. As well as the cable box beside my driveway. And like @MassExodus said, your water valve box in your front yard

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Latest posts