• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding tongs

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Feeding tongs? For Reptiles or Tarantulas?

I have a few sets of tongs, but I do not tong feed any of my T's. I use T's for removing live food, not adding it.

For my tongs, I like plastic as they are less harsh if a T strikes at the tongs. My go to long tongs are bamboo. They are nice to use & handy for arboreal enclosures. My short (5 inch) tongs are ones brought off ebay. 2 pairs for just under £3. They are identical to the ones pet shops etc sell for £5 plus per pair.

Lentulus

3 Year Member
I use aquarium tongs. 10inch long pack of two can be found for around $5 on Amazon. I do not use the tongs for precision feeding as some of my Ts are very fast. I toss the bugs in from a distance and let the spider do its thing. Don’t want them to bite the tongs or myself. I am under no illusion that I would be fast enough to move out of the way anyhow. They get used mainly for pulling things out of the T’s container and because I’m afraid of roaches. Tarantulas do not scare me. Rattlesnakes, giant lizards, the Pacific Ocean, small lizards, the vastness of space and time, and concepts of my own mortality do not unnerve me. Roaches do, go figure. Yucky. Gross. Vile little satan spawn.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have never used tongs for feeding Ts although I have quite a range of metal and plastic ones left over from keeping and breeding snakes that do get used for T maintenance. I have thought of getting some bamboo ones but have managed fine so far without them.

Sugar Wolf

Same thing here I use tongs for cleaning and dropping crickets near my T's... The only exception is my A. avic for him he's able to snatch the crickets off the tongs without biting the tongs every time I've fed him. :)

Jeef

3 Year Member
I've got these. I like them for getting things in and out of the enclosures. I tried bamboo ones, and I can't get a decent grip on anything with them. I don't tong feed my tarantulas, so biting them isn't an issue. 1694507219343.png

fuzzylover

Feeding tongs? For Reptiles or Tarantulas?

I have a few sets of tongs, but I do not tong feed any of my T's. I use T's for removing live food, not adding it.

For my tongs, I like plastic as they are less harsh if a T strikes at the tongs. My go to long tongs are bamboo. They are nice to use & handy for arboreal enclosures. My short (5 inch) tongs are ones brought off ebay. 2 pairs for just under £3. They are identical to the ones pet shops etc sell for £5 plus per pair.
I like to use the tongs to drop the feeders into the enclosure

Heretic

I have found two great deals on amazon for feeding / maintenance tongs for venomous animals.

Search amazon for - 2 pack 15 inch Heavy duty stainless steel tong tweezers- they are $10 right now. These are awesome because of how easy to close and how long they are. I glued the tips from the RSVPs to the straight set.

- RSVP International Endurance Silicone Tipped Kitchen Tweezers food safe, Durable Stainless Steel 12 inch. - They sell for $16. These are hard sturdy Tweezers made more for picking up heavy objects where crush force is needed to hold something. I wouldn't feed with them due to how much force it takes to keep them closed. These are solid heavy duty steel tweezers. The tips are the selling point because you can move the tips to the other set.

The tips are great because the extra large round end helps grab Crickets and doesn't totally crush and kill them but holds them solid while you toss it at the T. No more breaking their legs off and running away...LOL While some people will say $16 for just the Silicone tips is too much, they are worth it. Sure you can make tips using duct tape if you cant justify the extra set of Tongs.

The 3 different tongs are all you need for both feeding and maintenance.

Latest posts