• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding for smaller arachnids?

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
What sort of feeding schedule do you guys use for smaller arachnids? (Like quarter to half-dollar sized) Weekly, every three days?
I found a dehydrated house spider in my reptile room, and put it in a spare millipede habitat I had. Just got it to drink some water and eat a cricket leg. Kind of a silly little pet, but seems to run a lot quicker than my T metabolism-wise so I figure it's a good way to get a lot of arachnid trial-and-error out of the way without having my T experience too many of the errors.
Plus, he's kind of interesting to watch.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Weekly will be good. They are much shorter lived than T's the more you feed true spiders the faster they burn through their lives. They can be alot of fun to keep. Jumpers and wolfies are my favorites.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Huh, didn't know that. I'm not expecting this one to live long at all since I'm pretty sure it's a male. He's interesting to watch though.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have dozens of true spiders in my collection. They are incredibly interesting and diverse. For the most part, if you can get them to live 1-2 years, you've done a good job. I feed mine weekly but always make sure the abdomens look nice and healthy. If they start to skinny up, I would increase the feeding. But, I do go longer than 1 week if they look plump so not always able to maintain a regular feeding schedule like T's. Enjoy!

Latest posts