• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fate had Other Plans

NorseDad

I'm relatively new to the hobby. I've been keeping for almost exactly a year. I had 15 tarantulas before last night. All of them were NW slings with the exception of my mature female N. incei gold, my 3.5" A. seemanni, and my singular OW: a 2" C. marshalli.

I feel like I've been very lucky with my C. marshalli. It has not been defensive or very skittish since I got it. Even my last rehouse was a breeze. It's grown my confidence. I decided to get some feisty NWs as stepping stones. I ended up buying a sexed female 3" P. aratus. I think the species is absolutely gorgeous. I'm totally blown away by how much I love it.

Now for the fun part. I have a year long history with this breeder. They are local, I've helped with advice for their website, over 75% of my collection was purchased from them. We have a relationship where they will hold things for me, order for me, and hunt for imports for me. So, when I met to pick up this beautiful P. aratus, my friend decided to "give me the hook up". As freebies, I got another T. albopilosus sling (who doesn't find bed head cute) and...an OBT sling!

I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous. I've seen these things in action on videos, so I feel like I know what to expect. I do feel like providing an adequate enclosure with good hides will make life easier. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm relatively new to the hobby. I've been keeping for almost exactly a year. I had 15 tarantulas before last night. All of them were NW slings with the exception of my mature female N. incei gold, my 3.5" A. seemanni, and my singular OW: a 2" C. marshalli.

I feel like I've been very lucky with my C. marshalli. It has not been defensive or very skittish since I got it. Even my last rehouse was a breeze. It's grown my confidence. I decided to get some feisty NWs as stepping stones. I ended up buying a sexed female 3" P. aratus. I think the species is absolutely gorgeous. I'm totally blown away by how much I love it.

Now for the fun part. I have a year long history with this breeder. They are local, I've helped with advice for their website, over 75% of my collection was purchased from them. We have a relationship where they will hold things for me, order for me, and hunt for imports for me. So, when I met to pick up this beautiful P. aratus, my friend decided to "give me the hook up". As freebies, I got another T. albopilosus sling (who doesn't find bed head cute) and...an OBT sling!

I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous. I've seen these things in action on videos, so I feel like I know what to expect. I do feel like providing an adequate enclosure with good hides will make life easier. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?
Dont put your finger in!
seriously though, the only thing to be prepared for is the speed. They are quick and will try to find ad many hide holes as possible. I have kept them for years and even sold and packaged adults for others. I have actually found them pretty easy to catch as they are too preoccupied with giving you a threat pose and so they can be cupped easily. Every spider has the ability to surprise though so as long as you are prepared, you will be fine. :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning friend. We have 3 T. albopilosus including a mature female and my son has been caring for her since he is 5 years old. She is the most peaceful critter I've ever seen. She never lifted a leg, never kicked a hair and will climb on you for a little exploration if given a chance. I usually do not recommend handling tarantulas much but this one seems to genuinely like interactions (she comes out on her own when we open her enclosure). Do not do that with an OBT :D
We also have an OBT sling and frankly it is quite mellow as well (maybe due to its size) and has yet to put up a threat posture.
Just be careful but all together I wouldn't stress about it if I were you.
Have a great day.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
YouTubers are 99% entertainment and 1% educational. Unfortunately for something like an OBT that has a bit of a reputation it’s more views for someone to post a video of it slapping the ground and threat posturing. To put you at ease most of the Obts reputation comes from people who don’t actually have them.

Im currently rehousing 1 atm due to a slight mold issue (happens to be the one you gave me @Phil :) ) Like most Ts they have a limit and if you push them to it they will turn and posture at you. With a sling they are more likely to run so you won’t have an issue housing. When they get abit bigger when you do need to rehouse them put the enclosure in a bigger tub that you can place a lid on and if it does posture at you it’s easiest to leave the catch cup in the new enclosure , place the lid on the larger tub and just leave it to calm down. You might even find it’ll house itself.
image.jpg

this is the situation I’m currently in. I’m in no rush as I have plenty of Ts to house but it’s calmed down now and if I needed to I could try again for it to leave the catch cup.

timc

3 Year Member
I’ve raised 3 of these babies to adulthood and, while definitely feisty, I do find their reputation a little over the top. It’s great you got it as a sling since you’ll be able to grow with it as a keeper. That’s half the battle right there.

So, you are 100% correct on your setup ideas. Plenty of places to web, plenty of places to hide and feel safe. Your two most important tools will be loooooooooooong tongs and an oversized catch cup. Absolutely indispensable, but with an auratus (a species I have no experience with) you probably already know this lol. Remove boli, clean water bowls and whatever other maintenance while it’s eating so it’s distracted (and preferably hidden away) so the giant monster in its house isn’t its main focus.

So, speed, yeah. They have it in spades. I generally do maintenance and rehousing in areas with many feet of space between the spider and hiding places. These are not pokies and are much more of a stop/start teleporter than marathon runners. Keep that catch cup handy and let them run until they stop. After that keep your movements deliberate and they’re pretty easy to cup.

You’re going to get a threat pose. It’s going to happen. Do not be intimidated. Ever. Once again, your catch cup is you primary tool here. Just cup it and (once again with deliberate, confident movements) go on about your business. Just remember it can’t hurt you if you take precautions, including precautions against your own fear. They’re just spiders. Large, crazy, fast and feisty spiders but nothing a keeper with their head about them can’t handle.

Lastly, have fun and enjoy it. They’re beautiful, fascinating, and generally one of the more interesting tarantulas in the hobby for my money. I promise you will love that little guy/gal before long just by simply taking the necessary precautions to keep everyone safe. Don’t be nervous, be in love and you’ll do great!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't thank everyone who has replied enough. It's giving me the confidence boost I need. I'm excited to see how it goes.
What I normally find when I’m slightly apprehensive about a rehouse is it’s a non event and you have a little laugh about it :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ahhhhh .....this thread has me reminiscing about the time Shampain got bit (being crazy him, of course).....the video would absolutely do this thread some justice, imo....well, at least give everyone something to laugh about.

Latest posts