• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

False widow in my T's tank. Should I worry?

Lusher

3 Year Member
Hey there, I'm new to this site and fairly new to the hobby but already have a few T's.

I've been checking on one of my T's more regularly than usual as hadn't seen her (I think it's a her) in quite a while. She is a Colombian giant (can't remember official name) sub adult and I've had her for a couple of months. She is a bit of a pet rock a lot of the time anyway and is usually in her burrow so I wasn't overly worried. She has recently gone off of her food so I have been removing food items etc the next day. I believe she is about to molt and checked today using a torch into her cork bark tube hide. Indeed she seems to have blocked off the entrance to this, thus not enabling me to see her at all. I obviously don't want to disturb her. The thing that has worried me is that I noticed a small spider on the inside of her hide which I believe to be a false widow (I seem to get many in my house and garden) I also noticed what looked like a tiny spider molt just outside which I am guessing is from the ssme spider. Should I be worried about it being there? Could it harm my T at all? She is currently about 4-4.5 inches with legs but obviously will be larger once molted, if that is what she is doing. I've added some pics of the invader which you will have to zoom in on. The invader is only about 1.5cm in total.

Lusher

3 Year Member
20150521_203407.jpg
20150521_203407.jpg
It's the small dark bit towards the back. My first thought was to remove it but to do so would disturb my T if she's molting. My other fear is that this invader has already damaged or even killed my T but I've no way of knowing! Advice please.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
From your observation the T is in a molt stage. This is when they are most vulnerable to any predator attacks. Get the "house guest" out before an incident occurs.
True spiders and tarantulas are both carnivorous. [emoji6]

Lusher

3 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys. I came back and my T had dug her way out without venturing near the invader! I managed to removing the offender quickly without bothering my T.

Once again thanks for the help.

Latest posts