• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

False Widow Advice

mercianking

Hi,

I have a relatively off topic question I’m hoping an eight legged enthusiast can answer.

I’m England UK, have been feeding and watching the progress of a female false widow for a while. She got to the point where her abdomen was huge. When I went out for a cigarette at night you could see males hovering around, quite a few sometimes. It’s hard to think she wouldn’t get fertilised but I can’t be certain.

Past few weeks abdomen has shrunk extremely, she does not want to eat at all and seems to be more on the defensive web wise than looking to eat, denied two big wood lice recently. She like most of her species has a hide, with laced web outside.

I think she may have laid an egg sac, I’m not sure though. She’s very thin now though, slightly concerned.

Is this in anyone’s experience the norm, or an observable norm before?

Understand if it’s out the groups remit. Thanks to anyone who can in anyway provide info.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I have no experience in keep false widows but maybe if you take picture of the spider enclosure and webbing someone maybe able tell if she has an egg sac there .

Latest posts