• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure ventilation with computer fans

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just like Europe didn't want you
You guys remind me of the show The odd couple.
cast.jpg

Vladerscump

I have my adult Avicularia in ExoTerra Nano, while I replaced the top lid I didn't risk to drill the glass sides and I was suggested that the ventilation would be bad. I also live in New York and not far from the ocean, so the humidity is pretty high so I use mini computer fan to blow air into the enclosure to help with ventilation and the humidity.

While I am not sure if it's good or bad, it definitely helps with the ventilation and both of my Avic's juvenile and adult are seem to be totally fine with it. They don't seem to be affected in terms of being scared or attracted to it.

I found a blower fan of about the same size, and a micro air pump - is that something anyone uses or would use?
Well they do live in the tops of wind blow tree's Seems a bit over board and It's not practical for me. Mine do seem to do fine without all those extras. I think I have to much juice pulling in my pet room anyways. I don't think I would because I noticed that any of my breath blows on my Avic's or Versi's they get jumpy and agitated.

OculusLondres

Well they do live in the tops of wind blow tree's Seems a bit over board and It's not practical for me. Mine do seem to do fine without all those extras. I think I have to much juice pulling in my pet room anyways. I don't think I would because I noticed that any of my breath blows on my Avic's or Versi's they get jumpy and agitated.

That's exactly my thought - in nature they get much more air and wind than they would in closed cage, thus, I theoretically see no issues with providing a bit of air there. I agree that fan might be a bit too much considering it would 'fluff' the hairs that act like nerves, but using tube to push a little air, I assume won't hurt. Though, I still took the fan off the cage as I was suggested. Not an expert on spiders and not going to start conducting experiments, at least as of now :).

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
I have seen enclosures with fan assisted ventilation.It does work if executed properly.
If the small fan is mounted to suck air out of the enclosure rather than blow air in it(the enclosures are not sealed 100% so air will find its way in)for a short period of time, few times a day it could be beneficial in high humidity, heavily planted enclosure but most of the time is unnecessary if the enclosure is ventilated properly.
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts