• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

enclosure size for jumbo goliath bird eater

MikeJ327

3 Year Member
I was wondering what size of tank I should get for a goliath bird eater, that will be approximately 10 inches? Also, how deep should I make the substrate? Thanks in advance.

MikeJ327

3 Year Member
Blondi. Anything else you would recommend putting in the tank with him? Branches, half log for hiding...

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
Blondi. Anything else you would recommend putting in the tank with him? Branches, half log for hiding...

I would make sure that what you are getting is indeed a blondi, because most place that advertise Goliath bird eaters 99 percent of the time they are stirmi. some people will say ten gallon is enough. personally I think it should be bigger my stirmi is in a 30 gallon may be a little to much, but i had it lying around. but a large plastic container that is longer than higher should be sufficient. just drill some holes add substrate and your good. I have eco earth in my stirmi tank. they can burrow, but mine hasn't so add enough that if it does it will have a sufficient depth to burrow.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with larger enclosures for Theraphosa sp.
My MF stirmi comes out at night and wonders her entire enclosure, searching for prey. She is in a 50gal vivarium, designed as a show piece. I would keep Theraphosa in at least a 20gal long; but that is just me. I tend to err on the larger side for tarantula enclosures.

2012-09-09_15-29-58_591.jpg
2012-10-08_19-56-41_399.jpg

This is a 20gl long set up my L parahybana is in. Similar to what my other T stirmi will be in when they grow a bit more.
2012-11-11_17-05-51_979.jpg
2012-11-11_17-06-04_670.jpg

2012-11-11_17-05-41_3.jpg

Latest posts