• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure question.

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
I received Charlotte and Tabitha through mail.... They were supposed to be a lot smaller in size. Now my question is how big of an enclosure and how deep of substrate? Tabitha. Pink toe 3 inch.. Charlotte is a rosehair about 3.5 inch. I just am not sure if i need to put them in larger enclosure. My original is sam. She is still a sling her tank is plenty big i know that

Thistles

3 Year Member
For the pink toe, about 3x the leg span in height and 2x leg span on each side. Shoot for 6x6x9" or so if possible with good ventilation on the sides. For Charlotte go for maybe 10x6x6" and fill it halfway with substrate. Sizes are just ballpark sizes, so don't stress about matching dimensions exactly. What size enclosures did you have prepared?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Man, if I had a dollar for every time that's happened! :) I love size upgrades, but they can often leave you scrambling for a larger enclosure (I now just keep extras ready).

What size are the enclosures you have for them? I keep my 3.5" terrestrials in clear Sterilite shoe boxes (6 quart and about 12 x 6 x 5 or so) with about 2-3" or dirt or so. A G. rosea at that size will likely be past any burrowing phase and will do great with a a couple inches of dry substrate, a hide, and a water dish.

When my A. versicolor was about 3" or so, I housed her in a gallon sized clear plastic canister with about 2" of sub (arboreals don't need much) some fake plants, a piece of bamboo leaned against the side (cork bark works great as well), and a water dish. With the Avic's enclosure, I put several rows of holes around the sides for ventilation.

I hope that helps!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For the pink toe, about 3x the leg span in height and 2x leg span on each side. Shoot for 6x6x9" or so if possible with good ventilation on the sides. For Charlotte go for maybe 10x6x6" and fill it halfway with substrate. Sizes are just ballpark sizes, so don't stress about matching dimensions exactly. What size enclosures did you have prepared?

Dang, you're quick on the draw this morning! ;)

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
Man, if I had a dollar for every time that's happened! :) I love size upgrades, but they can often leave you scrambling for a larger enclosure (I now just keep extras ready).

What size are the enclosures you have for them? I keep my 3.5" terrestrials in clear Sterilite shoe boxes (6 quart and about 12 x 6 x 5 or so) with about 2-3" or dirt or so. A G. rosea at that size will likely be past any burrowing phase and will do great with a a couple inches of dry substrate, a hide, and a water dish.

When my A. versicolor was about 3" or so, I housed her in a gallon sized clear plastic canister with about 2" of sub (arboreals don't need much) some fake plants, a piece of bamboo leaned against the side (cork bark works great as well), and a water dish. With the Avic's enclosure, I put several rows of holes around the sides for ventilation.

I hope that helps!
Ok.. Well the pink toe needs a larger one sooner than my rosehair. Both tanks are too small. Yeah the company we have had past issues before. They actually owed me money for previous mistakes. I will not be doing business with them anymore since now the issue is resolved (on their end) they may have been trying to be extra nice or trying to be funny as they know me plenty well that i make sure all my babies are content. I will go change them now. I had the tanks set up beforehand. It's ok i just have to figure out the juggling of them. I am going away so i wanted to make sure they will be ok when im gone. Thank you very much for the speedy and informative reply. Charlotte and Tabitha thank you as well. I will feel better now leaving. Now off to get about 20 bucks in crickets. Boing! Boing! Lol thanks a lot

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
Ok.. One more thing.. Is coconut husk sufficient for all? I don't have the time to go get organic soil.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok.. Well the pink toe needs a larger one sooner than my rosehair. Both tanks are too small. Yeah the company we have had past issues before. They actually owed me money for previous mistakes. I will not be doing business with them anymore since now the issue is resolved (on their end) they may have been trying to be extra nice or trying to be funny as they know me plenty well that i make sure all my babies are content. I will go change them now. I had the tanks set up beforehand. It's ok i just have to figure out the juggling of them. I am going away so i wanted to make sure they will be ok when im gone. Thank you very much for the speedy and informative reply. Charlotte and Tabitha thank you as well. I will feel better now leaving. Now off to get about 20 bucks in crickets. Boing! Boing! Lol thanks a lot

Yup, I've been there a couple times before. I'm always happy for the side upgrade, but it leads to a bit of last minute scrambling. You're most welcome!

And dry cocofiber will work fine for both! :)

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
Ok good.I have them all switched i think to their needs hopefully their liking as well.. Thanks again i will upload pictures in a few

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I usually have to get up really early for work and/or school. My cats don't understand the concept of "day off" so they were expecting breakfast. I figured I might as well check the forums while I was up!

Ha! I woke up with one of my dogs sitting on my head this morning, so I hear you. When the pets wake you up, it's time to check the boards. :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I received Charlotte and Tabitha through mail.... They were supposed to be a lot smaller in size. Now my question is how big of an enclosure and how deep of substrate? Tabitha. Pink toe 3 inch.. Charlotte is a rosehair about 3.5 inch. I just am not sure if i need to put them in larger enclosure. My original is sam. She is still a sling her tank is plenty big i know that
I have a pink toe, the exact same size. I have it in a 10" tall x 5x5 acrylic box w a door I cut on the side. There's a nice piece of driftwood across top to bottom, another kinda wedged the other way and artificial leaves around to anchor webs to. She's forming a nice tube web across the top where she rests and eats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 19

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
That looks awesome! Let me ask though which is best? Having height or length? I found a container sufficient for the moment for my rosehair. Its a kale container from Walmart. That was a quick fix. I have a large critter cage for my pink toe for the moment. I am buying acrylic tanks for all. I need to find the best dimensions. I may have misunderstood the size recommended though.