• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure height

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys.
So yesterday I decided to add more substrate to my B.albopilosum's enclosure. He loves burrowing holes but his substrate was just not deep enough. But now I think I I added to much....what do you think?
20151130_083845.jpg

Wg25

3 Year Member
I know bookac! Was planning on posting a tread about it...but since you said it....let me ask you! :) hahaha all of my T's are in these glass vivariums with only one big vent hole on top. All petshops in my area only sell these for T's. But a few people has told me how important cross ventilation is. But all my enclosures are glass. So I will have to buy 8 new ones.... I'm not complaining. I love my T's and usually spend most of my money on them anyway. But 8 new enclosures will be costly....But if it will cause problems for my T's I will defenitly make a plan ASAP!!!

bookac

3 Year Member
I know bookac! Was planning on posting a tread about it...but since you said it....let me ask you! :) hahaha all of my T's are in these glass vivariums with only one big vent hole on top. All petshops in my area only sell these for T's. But a few people has told me how important cross ventilation is. But all my enclosures are glass. So I will have to buy 8 new ones.... I'm not complaining. I love my T's and usually spend most of my money on them anyway. But 8 new enclosures will be costly....But if it will cause problems for my T's I will defenitly make a plan ASAP!!!
I learned that also from the expirienced members here, about how important is the cross ventilation.. and for the terrarium, all my terrariums are made from Food boxes :)

With bunch of.holes :)

uploadfromtaptalk1448884755096.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cross ventilation is more important for arboreal spiders. I have kept terrestrial spiders in critter keepers and they only have ventilation in the top and they didnt seem to mind. I know its probably better to have cross winds a bit but i dont think ur tarantulas are in mortal danger or anything @Wg25 also...ur substrate looks a little high but it wont hurt anything. better too high than too low.

khatchet

3 Year Member
With a critter keeper you can add more hole to vent better, that is if needed. I keep all of mine in critter keeper and have never had a problem. The vent is only at the top but it is the whole top, that is the vent.

Wg25

3 Year Member
20151202_141723.jpg

Bought this container for my Boemei sling today. Before I put a few vent holes in it....do you guys think it's the right size? He is in pre molt phase so will probably molt soon!

Wg25

3 Year Member
I learned that also from the expirienced members here, about how important is the cross ventilation.. and for the terrarium, all my terrariums are made from Food boxes :)

With bunch of.holes :)

View attachment 12235
A also bought a few big containers for my bigger T's! So before I start.... how many vent holes do you think is appropriate? I don't wanna over do it!

Thistles

3 Year Member
@Wg25 the floor space looks great for that spider. It's a little low to look good aesthetically, in my opinion, but it should serve the tarantula's needs just fine. I would put a ring of holes all around the sides just below the level of that blue seal spaced maybe 3/4" to an inch apart.

Wg25

3 Year Member
@Wg25 the floor space looks great for that spider. It's a little low to look good aesthetically, in my opinion, but it should serve the tarantula's needs just fine. I would put a ring of holes all around the sides just below the level of that blue seal spaced maybe 3/4" to an inch apart.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice Thistles! Appreciate it a lot! :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
No problem. Prof cancelled my 6:30 class today but didn't let us know. Here I am sitting and waiting for my next class to start at 9:30 because I live too far away to go home. Nothing to do but tarantula forums!

bookac

3 Year Member
A also bought a few big containers for my bigger T's! So before I start.... how many vent holes do you think is appropriate? I don't wanna over do it!
I am drilling at 2cm from hole to hole, and I put how much I can, at this distance, also the rows of holes I am keeping it 2 cm from each other.. I dont know if I explained this good, but I am not at my pc right now..

Wg25

3 Year Member
20151202_192318.jpg
20151202_155951.jpg

My B.albopilosum's new enclosure! Rehoused 3 of my T'so into the new cross ventilated enclosures! Looks good so far! Will probably do the rest before the end of the month :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Hey guys.
So yesterday I decided to add more substrate to my B.albopilosum's enclosure. He loves burrowing holes but his substrate was just not deep enough. But now I think I I added to much....what do you think?View attachment 12234
Looks great. My G porteri is in a 10 gal tank with screen on top, but edges covered so she can't get her hooks caught. These species like it warm and dry so the tanks are great. Arboreals and T's like my T stirmi need skit of ventilation and/or humidity, so these don't work as good. For them I have em in large plastic bins with locking lids. They are clear so u can still see the T fine, but can add ur holes for ventilation. Cheap, too, at under $10