• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eastern parson spider

NYX

3 Year Member
I have a lot of Eastern parson spiders in my basement area. One was on my hair today...lol
Does anyone know how to keep one hobby style. Denny Dee I noticed you have a lot of true spiders from reading posts. Thanks guys! Here is a picture of one hanging out in a candle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 43

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I keep them in a medium sized enclosure. Mist once per week. Humidity in the room is baselined at 40%. Room Temp is 75-77 in the daytime and 66-68 in the evenings. I use cocoa fiber as the substrate. Feed small crickets once a week.

I did have a female lay eggs. Very unique looking sack. Was set up on a leaf of an artificial plant. I have struggled keeping Parsons alive. I too have caught mine in my basement. Could be the ones I captured where already at the end of the road. On my third spider in a year. I have had this current one for several months now.

Keep us posted!

NYX

3 Year Member
Seems to be doing well. It had no problem eating a little bit of web going. I used coconut too. Humidty seems to be a little high in its vivarium trying to bring that down a little. I am suprised they are still around in my house to be honest It is cold in my basement at this point.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent. Spider looks healthy and doing well. Mine is doing well also. I think the key was to use the cocoa fiber but a very thin layer.

NYX

3 Year Member
I have a crap camera.. Pardon my french... But really nice color on him right now. Very excited. How long should I give it to feed again? One week or Two? I have about 3 inches of eco earth in its home. Do you think that is too much?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I usually feed weekly. There is a theory that the more frequently you feed True Spiders, the faster they go through their life cycle and die. Not sure but they seem healthier looking when fed weekly.

NYX

3 Year Member
So odd update my parson only ate once since the last molt and today it molted again! It was really awesome it was is my night off from work so I caught it in the act. After molting it burrowed in the coconut so I cant get a pic of the EP. Also my G. Rosea and GBB are in heavy pre molt. They all must want to be freash for the new year lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 31

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats. I find they are not big eaters. Mine eats once a week. Mine also went into food strike mode in pre-molt for a few weeks.

NYX

3 Year Member
Really put on some size after the molt. The markings are actually yellow/ gold color but the flash on the camera washes it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 15

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just saw mine yesterday. Been a while. She is looking nice and full. Fed her a med. cricket yesterday. Yours has more pronounced color white on body than mine. Suspect mine may be close to molt again though so we will see.

Latest posts