• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragging body and throwing hairs. Acting very strange, Help.

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Thanks so much Christell, Martin and Roshair123 for asking about her. And a BIG Thank you Martin for reaffirming what I had read too.
She is still with me today, slight movement so she is molting, Now, the question of the day. I took her out of the Calcium Sand and
into a travel tank but, I only had a small amount of the Eco Earth and now she is laying, still upside down, on a plastic floor.
Can I Mover her back to her original housing, with the new Eco Earth? Right now she has now shelter, travel cage too small.
Thanks for all your help, I am really glad I found people who really do care about their 8 legged critters like i do.
Really glad I found this great site...

l.poehling

3 Year Member
after she molts you can move her back but give it a couple hours after the molt she will be very fragile so be very careful
The coldness will not hurt her?? I don't mind picking her up, carefully of course.
ok I have a light blanket under and around, front and top open, I think this will work just fine.
Is this a good thing to do or am I just trying to hard?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks so much Christell, Martin and Roshair123 for asking about her. And a BIG Thank you Martin for reaffirming what I had read too.
She is still with me today, slight movement so she is molting, Now, the question of the day. I took her out of the Calcium Sand and
into a travel tank but, I only had a small amount of the Eco Earth and now she is laying, still upside down, on a plastic floor.
Can I Mover her back to her original housing, with the new Eco Earth? Right now she has now shelter, travel cage too small.
Thanks for all your help, I am really glad I found people who really do care about their 8 legged critters like i do.
Really glad I found this great site...

Hello again

PLEASE under no circumstance move any T during a molt,it will cause more harm than good. If they get the slightest fright their natural reaction is to move,and he or she will 90% of the time get stuck and die. This is my opinion others may differ,but I have used a philosophy of leaving my T alone even after a molt is completed since the exoskeleton is still soft.

Last edited:

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Hello again

PLEASE under no circumstance move any T during a molt,it will cause more harm than good. If they get the slightest fright their natural reaction is to move,and he or she will 90% if the time get stuck and die. This is my opinion others may differ,but I have used a philosophy of leaving my T alone even after a molt is completed since the exoskeleton is still soft.
ok, have not moved her, just made her home, outside, warmer.
I understand. I left her alone for her last molt too, and all was good.

Last edited:

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Get it out of that tank! change the substrate do not use sand/gravel it is or should i say already has cause irritation to the underside of the T. Use echo earth , vermiculite or nothing. put spider in an empty container for now with a small hide (intensive care) while you sort out enclosure issue.
Thanks 2G33k4U, I did this right before her molt. This post helped also....

Last edited:

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Thank you Talmon,me too, i was really scared. She seems to be thrashing around from time to time. I hope this is on the normal side. I can watch her close the way i have her tank wraped. I am so amazed at this molting process. This is the second molt..Is it normal for them to do this so quick after the last molt??
But anyway, she is still working things out and for me that's a great thing.. I have hope now...:T::cool:
NO FLASH USED..
New Photos added....
3rd day of her molt, picture 2- check out the ballbuss part of her legs, look how swollen they are
and look at all the fluid they have built up to support a good slide out.. Everything is so pronounced.
Sorry about the picture quality, I just do not want to freak her out in any way. Again, sorry for the graininess.

Attachments

• 2014-10-30 18.42.52.jpg
    2014-10-30 18.42.52.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 2014-10-31 06.47.07.jpg
    2014-10-31 06.47.07.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 2014-10-31 07.02.38.jpg
    2014-10-31 07.02.38.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Logan D

3 Year Member
Thank you Talmon,me too, i was really scared. She seems to be thrashing around from time to time. I hope this is on the normal side. I can watch her close the way i have her tank wraped. I am so amazed at this molting process. This is the second molt..Is it normal for them to do this so quick after the last molt??
But anyway, she is still working things out and for me that's a great thing.. I have hope now...:T::cool:
NO FLASH USED..
New Photos added....
3rd day of her molt, picture 2- check out the ballbuss part of her legs, look how swollen they are
and look at all the fluid they have built up to support a good slide out.. Everything is so pronounced.

looks like shes trying to pull her legs out its possible she could be stuck