• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Doing the backstroke?

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Nope.
During feeding time, I came to one of my wee Euathlus sp. red slings.
When I opened its enclosure, I was freaked out to see it on its back inside its little water "bowl"!
Its being wet, the sling looked like a drowning victim.
Molting, briefly, crossed my mind, as well, but ... in a cap 1/2 filled with water?

Either way, I could not bring myself to do nothing and really did fear the worse.
Very gently, I scooped it out.

Much to my relief, the sling's little legs started moving shortly after scooping it out of the water "bowl".
Then, it turned right side up after having been set down.
Movement/walking was fairly okay though just a bit clumsy here or there.

Skipped feeding it, of course.
Decided to leave it alone and check on the baby later.

The next day, I opened the enclosure to find the sling "bright & bushy tailed", walking just fine and in its new clothing, as it came out of its hide to greet me.
Yep, it molted.
I removed the molt and was so ~happy~ to see the little sling was/is doing great.:)

The only reason I freaked out is that (aside from the sling's appearance) I have never had a T lay in its water "bowl" (esp. with some water in it) to molt.
Don't even understand why it did this when there is plenty of ground room and humidity in its enclosure. In fact, I need it to have a bit less humidity in there.

All's well, that ends well, though.
Just thought I would share this story.:)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nope.
During feeding time, I came to one of my wee Euathlus sp. red slings.
When I opened its enclosure, I was freaked out to see it on its back inside its little water "bowl"!
Its being wet, the sling looked like a drowning victim.
Molting, briefly, crossed my mind, as well, but ... in a cap 1/2 filled with water?

Either way, I could not bring myself to do nothing and really did fear the worse.
Very gently, I scooped it out.

Much to my relief, the sling's little legs started moving shortly after scooping it out of the water "bowl".
Then, it turned right side up after having been set down.
Movement/walking was fairly okay though just a bit clumsy here or there.

Skipped feeding it, of course.
Decided to leave it alone and check on the baby later.

The next day, I opened the enclosure to find the sling "bright & bushy tailed", walking just fine and in its new clothing, as it came out of its hide to greet me.
Yep, it molted.
I removed the molt and was so ~happy~ to see the little sling was/is doing great.:)

The only reason I freaked out is that (aside from the sling's appearance) I have never had a T lay in its water "bowl" (esp. with some water in it) to molt.
Don't even understand why it did this when there is plenty of ground room and humidity in its enclosure. In fact, I need it to have a bit less humidity in there.

All's well, that ends well, though.
Just thought I would share this story.:)
I had one of my incei gold slings do the same thing, about a month ago. First time I'd seen or heard of it..do you think they do it on purpose? I've still never heard of one drowning. Mine was fine as well.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I had one of my incei gold slings do the same thing, about a month ago. First time I'd seen or heard of it..do you think they do it on purpose? I've still never heard of one drowning. Mine was fine as well.

As odd as their doing this is, seems that some must do it, on purpose, but I had not seen it (or heard of it), before now, either.

The lack of Ts drowning, &/or their not being prone to it, crossed my mind too. Making that situation, of finding my baby like that, an even bigger surprise.

Glad yours, like mine, turned out okay.

Learn something new all the time.:)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
They do do some strange things. I had one that seemed to prefer moulting in the water bowl, did it a few times.

They do keep us hopping, guessing, and entertained. LoL

Interesting that you had one who molted, in its water bowl, a few times.

Latest posts