• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does your T have arachgoraphobia?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After posting by picture collection on 1st January, there was a notable ommission. My Monocentropus balfouri - Socotra Island Blue Baboon - "Skai"

This lovely little T has been hunkered up in her new enclosure where it has built some wonderful webbing and tunnels so I can only assume that it has a severe case of Arachgroaphobia.... in other words a spider with a fear* of leaving the house....lol

So my fellow forum buddies, and just for a bit of fun, what T do you have with a similar condition? Let's have name, pet name and date last seen shall we then we can build up a day count for the winner.

Just for a bit of fun here is Skai....with the front door well and truly shut on me and my prying camera. Not been seen since rehoused 45 days ago.
View attachment 13357
* I know it is not really "fear" and it is natural bahaviour but thought it would make a good thread and a new word! Maybe I need to get out more and meet more interesting people!!!!
I have a few chicken spiders :) B. vagans (Redrum) thinks he's hidden away from everything but he's burrowed down the enclosure in the corner in plain view and spends all of his time there "out of sight"

A. geniculata (Savage) has been in his hide since we got him except when he dug under the edge of the cork bark and it started to tip, he's a smart spider and wouldn't go back inside the hide until i fixed it. The only other time i saw him out of his hide was a few days after his molt. He was sitting on the edge of the recently moistened sphagnum moss and i was able to sneak his exo out of his hide and get a pic. that was 12/28 i believe.

My son and I each have a B. Albo (Moe is mine, Larry is my son's) and the only way i've been able to see Moe since he arrived was when i rehoused him last week as his burrows started to colapse and i didn't want him to get crushed. Yeah i know he would have been fine and dug his way out but it made me feel better. :)

Larry has burrowed from the center of his enclosure straight to the bottom and has hollowed out almost half of the bottom of his enclosure. Luckily his sub is holding shape well . We only see him on feeding days and that's only if the lateralis roach is fast enough to get by him and down to the bottom of the enclosure. He's a ferocious eater too, like it pissed him off he let the roach get by him lol

Then the B. boehmei (Koby) always is in his hide also but he has dug the burrow to the side of the enclosure so he's easily seen.

G. Rosea (Gram) doesn't hide, just sits out on the sub or cork bark and does nothing. My little 1/4" pet rock lol he doesn have a small burrow against the side of his inclosure but it's just deep enough for him to get below the surface.

C. cyanopubescens (Marley) has made a cool web tunnel in the corner under the fake leaves. If you count that as hiding he's always hid :) easy to see him thorugh the web and each end of his tunnel though.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a few chicken spiders :) B. vagans (Redrum) thinks he's hidden away from everything but he's burrowed down the enclosure in the corner in plain view and spends all of his time there "out of sight"

A. geniculata (Savage) has been in his hide since we got him except when he dug under the edge of the cork bark and it started to tip, he's a smart spider and wouldn't go back inside the hide until i fixed it. The only other time i saw him out of his hide was a few days after his molt. He was sitting on the edge of the recently moistened sphagnum moss and i was able to sneak his exo out of his hide and get a pic. that was 12/28 i believe.

My son and I each have a B. Albo (Moe is mine, Larry is my son's) and the only way i've been able to see Moe since he arrived was when i rehoused him last week as his burrows started to colapse and i didn't want him to get crushed. Yeah i know he would have been fine and dug his way out but it made me feel better. :)

Larry has burrowed from the center of his enclosure straight to the bottom and has hollowed out almost half of the bottom of his enclosure. Luckily his sub is holding shape well . We only see him on feeding days and that's only if the lateralis roach is fast enough to get by him and down to the bottom of the enclosure. He's a ferocious eater too, like it pissed him off he let the roach get by him lol

Then the B. boehmei (Koby) always is in his hide also but he has dug the burrow to the side of the enclosure so he's easily seen.

G. Rosea (Gram) doesn't hide, just sits out on the sub or cork bark and does nothing. My little 1/4" pet rock lol he doesn have a small burrow against the side of his inclosure but it's just deep enough for him to get below the surface.

C. cyanopubescens (Marley) has made a cool web tunnel in the corner under the fake leaves. If you count that as hiding he's always hid :) easy to see him thorugh the web and each end of his tunnel though.
That's some really cool behavior. Who says spiders don't have personality lol

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
I have two that are extreme recluses. Smiley McSunshine (OBT) built a neat barricade of substrate and thick webbing in the entrance of its lair. Occasionally, I get a glimpse of orange and blue toes hanging out one of the holes.

The other is my lividum, Maleficent. 75% of the time, I'll see some toes poking out the top of her tunnel (she'll bolt if she knows she's been spotted), or all the way down in the bottom. 28% of the time, I have a pet hole in the ground. It's the remaining 3% when she makes that Sasquatch-like appearance that makes my soul smile. She still is my prized T after all these years. :)

The rest I have no problem observing at least once a day, even if they're feeling shy.

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
I have two that are extreme recluses. Smiley McSunshine (OBT) built a neat barricade of substrate and thick webbing in the entrance of its lair. Occasionally, I get a glimpse of orange and blue toes hanging out one of the holes.

The other is my lividum, Maleficent. 75% of the time, I'll see some toes poking out the top of her tunnel (she'll bolt if she knows she's been spotted), or all the way down in the bottom. 28% of the time, I have a pet hole in the ground. It's the remaining 3% when she makes that Sasquatch-like appearance that makes my soul smile. She still is my prized T after all these years. :)

The rest I have no problem observing at least once a day, even if they're feeling shy.
Haha. I can't do math. 75%, 22%, and 3%. Thank god I have a degree in psychology, and not physics. ;)

shulamite

3 Year Member
This thread certainly makes me feel better about my own reclusive.GBB. Before she arrived 2 weeks ago I knew nothing about the habits of these creatures and why she hid from even her own food. Thanks to some helpful and knowledgeable people online I learned that crickets could harm her (she molted the day after she arrived) and still hides from the two I gave her this week. One cricket is MIA so maybe she ate it.
So I am committed to her for the duration and when I spy a glimpse of her pretty ankles its worth it.
Are there any Ts that like to be in the open ? More bold types? Thank you :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have not seen my genic sling since the second day I got it. It has closed up its hide and is hiding away. It has not eaten at all. It is such a small T too. :(

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This thread certainly makes me feel better about my own reclusive.GBB. Before she arrived 2 weeks ago I knew nothing about the habits of these creatures and why she hid from even her own food. Thanks to some helpful and knowledgeable people online I learned that crickets could harm her (she molted the day after she arrived) and still hides from the two I gave her this week. One cricket is MIA so maybe she ate it.
So I am committed to her for the duration and when I spy a glimpse of her pretty ankles its worth it.
I found that G. pulchripes slings are bolder as mine like to climb outside their hides than be inside them. Then they tend to burrow but just a phase. Eventually, my biggest one Dos Chac stays more in the open after its burrowing days are over. ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A lot of the Brachypelma's hide when young and come out in the open when they're larger. All of mine are still >1" slings so they're buried away in their tunnels, although some tunnels are against the enclosure wall so they're in plain sight :)

Our GBB has never been a recluse, it's webbed a circular opening around the lower leaves of the fake plant to make it's own hide, even though it's not hidden :) Makes it easy to feed it dubai roaches, just drop them on the web and it goes nuts. They don't get to burrow that way.

Make sure you wait a week or so after molt for their 'skin' to harden before feeding. If the fangs aren't black don't feed them.

Latest posts