• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Docile T acting skiddish all of the sudden?

Hayden Daniels

3 Year Member
I picked up my first T a little over a month ago, a Grammastola Rosea. He was very docile the first few weeks, even took him out a few times for handling and there were no problems whatsoever. Also if i ever needed to move him across his enclosure with some gentle prodding of the abdomen there were no sudden jumps or quick movements, just slow walking in the opposite direction of where I was making contact. Over the past couple of weeks he's become increasingly sensitive to contact, and sometimes even turns around acting irritated when I try to get him to move across the enclosure for spot cleaning. He has never rejected prey whenever it is offered, usually every day or two. You might be able to see in the picture, but there is also a patch developing on his abdomen, could this all be a sign of molting soon? I also know that Grammastola Roseas are known to be one of the more "bipolar" species of tarantulas, so I don't know how much of this is relevant. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Chaka.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18

Carsten

3 Year Member
From what you are describing your T is most likely going into a moult soon. My G. Rosea was the same. When I got her she was already in pre-molt, refusing to eat and not docile at all. A few weeks down the road she finally moulted and after that she became the kindest T you can imagine. As you mentioned they G. Rosea are known to have severe mood swings :).

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree too. sounds like pre molt. but with a rosie it could just be being a rosie. :)

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Sounds like premolt but also just sounds like it's being a rosie. I don't handle mine (because she's psychotic) but it's a 50/50 chance when I open the tank if she's going to ignore me or immediately go into a threat posture.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know some will disagree with this, but there is no such thing as a "docile" tarantula.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree to a point....they r primative so u never know what they r gonna do. but some are defintely more tolerant and docile than others without question.

Latest posts