• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you know what tarantula this is?

Lizzy

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello. I'm new to owning tarantulas and have recently got this little "gal"
The pet store was horrible and had no idea what kind of tarantula "she" was or had any background on her.
If you have any idea or info on what she is, it would be a big help. Thanks!

Ghost

3 Year Member
It's a H.maculata,Here's a pic of my female for comparison.
As your new to the hobby please be carefull with this T as there lightning fast and you don't want to get bitten by them as that would ruin your week for sure....

image.jpg

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I was gonna say looks too fuzzy to be a poec. Patterning is close though. I would second @Ghost 's H. maculata though I don't own them either. But a google search of your image brought up visually similar images, many of which where H. mac's plus googling the H. mac itself:
ffc8985c68d2f375feb2a6fc60dfce16.jpg
(img from Pinterest)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pretty T regardless, I'm learning to appreciate the patterning more and more :D

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a Heteroscodra maculata aka Togo Starburst Baboon. I wouldn't advise getting it unless you have tons of experience with OW's. H.maculata are widely considered the 2nd most venomous tarantula just behind S.calceatum. They're probably one of the fastest species I've personally worked with.

swimbait

3 Year Member
You got yourself a hell of a tarantula. You just baught one of the fastest and most potent species you can own. They aren't to be taken likely. Be careful and enjoy your new demon

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hello Lizzy. Yes, it's a Heteroscodra maculata (from West- Central-Africa), very fast, very defensive and with potent venom. But she's also secretive, and prefers most of the time flee than fight. If you give her the adequate enclosure, you shouldn't have any problems with her: she'll stay hidden when you do maintenance and you'll only see her at night.

She seems to be big enough to be put in her final enclosure. That'll reduce the manipulation.

If possible, give her an enclosure at least 30 cm (12 inches) tall, because she's arboreal. But, she's not as arboreal as, for instance, Avicularia: during daylights, she'll stay in her burrow on/under the ground. That's why she also needs some inches of substrate: 5-10 cm (2-3 inches) is good. You place a vertical cork bark on one side of the enclosure, so that she'll build her nest behind/under it with some dirt and digging. Try to have enough room to make maintenance (= don't place the cork bark too close of the opening if possible, and the waterdish not too close of the burrow / cork bark).

If you clean the enclosure on a regular basis in removing the leftovers, you shouldn't need to rehouse her, and then you'll avoid a difficult situation for a beginner in the hobby (but, of course, if it's getting too dirty or if you spot some vermin on the ground, you'll have to do rehousing).

Don't forget the full and clean waterdish, and it's gonna be very fine. You can keep her on dry substrate.

And... enjoy! H maculata are one of the most beautiful tarantula in my book! But, as have been said, be cautious (don't fully open the enclosure if she's still out of her burrow for instance...).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good luck with the H mac, Nicolas gave you some great info there, I can't really add anything. Its funny to me that a pet store had an H mac and didn't even know what it was. That could have led to some macabre comedy...or tragedy for the spider more likely..ok, that part isn't funny..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know as a new hobbyist you have a few choices here. You can keep it, or you can sell it and buy a rosea or something, that's what many people will recommend.
I don't. If you decide to keep it, I would research as much as possible: Watch videos of feeding, rehousing, any actual footage of the tarantula. Also I would look for threads like this one, and good advice like Nicolas gave you. Be aware, you wont die from a bite, but you may wish you had for a few hours. I hear its very painful. But I just wanted to say, new to this or not, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't keep it and care for it. Just remember, research is mandatory in this hobby, if you want your spider to do well and be safe. Good luck, I hope you decide to keep it :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was slated for buying an OBT as my first T but 2 years on I still think it was a great decision and have never had any cause for concern, love her to bits!!.

Nicholas's advice is great. Always be on your guard, do any necessary maintenance while it's hidden away and you'll be fine. I found 2 great items that do help a lot - one a pair of long forceps/tongs for removing rubbish, the other a long water dropper for topping up water bowls.

Latest posts