• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY Acrylic Enclosure

Simon Chen

3 Year Member
Just build this with a 17$ piece of acrylic from home depot for an Hmac im getting today, 3" juvie
the enclosure is 6" by 6" by 12". just got tired of all the container im finding in stores being translucent and not transparent because i want to see my T's crystal clear :D
tips or suggestions on improvemnet are welcome!

Attachments

• 20151004_182237.jpg
    20151004_182237.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 99

Ghost

3 Year Member
Nice looking enclosure you've made,
The only thing I would have done different is instead of just putting the vents in the door I would have drilled air holes in the upper sides as well that way you get plenty of cross ventilation.

On another note I've seen you said when you joined the forum that you only had just started in the hobby and had a G.rosea and a B.albopilosum now I'm not trying to be funny here but going from slow moving terrestrial T's to lightning fast arboreals like a H.mac in under a month is really not the best idea as the H.macs venom is at the hotter end of the scale and you don't want to be getting tagged by one of them so please be carefull when feeding and doing any enclosure maintenance,as these are going to be able to move faster than any T youve seen up till now......

Simon Chen

3 Year Member
On the fortunate end, im not moving from a b albo to an H mac. my collection has grown exponentially (got me a regalis and a formosa a week after my rosea and albo thread) im sitting at 9 T's now with some relatively fast ones (like the pokies). thanks for the advice though, i will be careful. on anoher note, im also picking up some 2" P. metallicas along with the Hmac :D

now onto the unfortunate end f the spectrum theres a hole 9 miles deep in my wallet... Metallica sling = $$$$$

Ghost

3 Year Member
Okay I think your missing the point here it doesn't matter that you went from the B.albo to P.regalis before the H.mac the point is that going from slow moving terrestrial T's to any fast moving arboreal T's in a very short space of time is not a good idea as you have yet to gain the experience required to deal safely with T's that can move faster than you can see when they want and have venom that can ruin your week if you get tagged.

Now I'm not having a go at you here,but most of the experienced keepers here will tell you the same thing that its better to start slow and gain experience and work your way up in time to the fast defensive T's, anyway if your pokies are slings you will see what I mean when it comes time to rehouse them into larger enclosures........

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have to agree with Ghost here. There's no reason to go diving into the deep end like that. No amount of research is going to prepare you for when it comes time to rehouse these. I hope you don't have any small children or pets in the house with you. If so it's really unfair for you to put them in any possible danger by doing this. All I can say now is good luck to you, and have fun rehousing them.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That said, I pretty much thought that my B. smithi is relatively fast. With my experience, I'd be sure to freak out at the speed @Ghost is referring to! :eek:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That said, I pretty much thought that my B. smithi is relatively fast. With my experience, I'd be sure to freak out at the speed @Ghost is referring to! :eek:
Brachys are sloooow [emoji14] If a smithi makes you nervous with its speed, then I suggest staying away from arboreal species, as not only are most of them relatively Fast, but they're agile and can jump pretty far distances. Even Green Bottle Blues are considered slow, but are capable of short bursts of speed that can surprise some bginners. Tapinauchenius are considered the fastest of all tarantulas, fortunately I have never had one run out of the enclosure like some of my others.

Simon Chen

3 Year Member
thanks for all the replies guys! I didn't end up getting the Hmac (mostly due to budget issues). im probably going to get it eventually but due to all your replies im a little bit more wary. the original reason I wasn't too worried about it was because it was the same size if not smaller than my "P Formosa(3"- 3.5) and id assumed it wasn't going to be that much faster. and since rehousing the Formosa wasn't too big of a problem (in an empty bathroom with an extra deli cup and piece of card stock just in case). if the speed difference between the two is significant, how so? how much faster is the H mac going to be? if it is a lot faster what other precautions do you recommend taking during a rehouse?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think u have the idea with the rehouse. In a bath tub in a bathroom with the door closed, the windows shut, something under the door like a towel...um perhaps a suit of body armor...umm...lol and a face shield. am i missing anything? lol but seriously. in a bath tub from enclosure to enclosure is a good method. have fun and good luck. :)

Latest posts