• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Divided exo terra?

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Has anyone attempted to divide an exo terra to house 2 spiders? Ive spent the last few days searching the internet for another t.stirmi, i really want a female and seen as mine keeps eating its molts i havent 100% managed to sex it yet. Im quite impatient and decided that i really NEED to just buy a female lol. Anyway, ideally i would like a completely seperate enclosure, but space is quite limited so my thought was to divide my 60x45x30 exo terra to make 2 tanks in 1 tank [emoji1] i was going to cut the back drop in half and use aquarium sealant to fix plexiglass right down the centre. Has anyone done something like this with an exo terra? Ive seen it done with normal "fish tanks" but not an exo terra. Any thougts, advice, ideas will be appreciated [emoji3]

Last edited:

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Possibly but the one i already have is either in its hide or sat at the entrance so it doesnt seem to use all the room it has anyway. Plus theres always the option of a 90x45x30 and divide that.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Would this not be a bit small for 2 T stirmi's?

At first, I had the same question as Will's. But then I realised that I have kept my adult stirmi for several years now in a 45 x 30 x 30 cm enclosure, and she is perfectly fine. Then, if you separate the enclosure in two and have two 30 x 45 x 30 enclosures, I think it's fine.

Maybe bigger is better, but that's not the way I keep mine, then I'm not the right person to advise it! :)

Anyway, if you decide to separate the enclosure in two, be very careful to seal with strong glue the plexiglas and every possible holes. The tarantulas are really escape artists and if one goes into the enclosure of the other, you'll end up with only one tarantula (but a fat one!)! But the way you said you want to proceed seems good and secure, so yeah, why not? I don't know how this exo terra is built with the front doors: think about this too to be sure you can open the doors with the separation.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At first, I had the same question as Will's. But then I realised that I have kept my adult stirmi for several years now in a 45 x 30 x 30 cm enclosure, and she is perfectly fine. Then, if you separate the enclosure in two and have two 30 x 45 x 30 enclosures, I think it's fine.

Maybe bigger is better, but that's not the way I keep mine, then I'm not the right person to advise it! :)

Anyway, if you decide to separate the enclosure in two, be very careful to seal with strong glue the plexiglas and every possible holes. The tarantulas are really escape artists and if one goes into the enclosure of the other, you'll end up with only one tarantula (but a fat one!)! But the way you said you want to proceed seems good and secure, so yeah, why not? I don't know how this exo terra is built with the front doors: think about this too to be sure you can open the doors with the separation.
Good point on the doors. Most likely have to replace them with 2 doors, but without seeing it we're guessing.

Is the whole enclosure acrylic or glass? if it's all acrylic i'd get some acrylic bonding agent rather than the tank sealant. If it's glass and you're adding plexiglass the sealant should work fine.