• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Desert tarantula enclosure

shelbi8119

Does anyone have any suggestions on substrate to use for desert tarantulas, or more specifically for a A. Chalcodes? I've seen where people add the Zilla desert sand to coco fiber for them, and wasn't sure if that's something to do or if it's even good for them. But I'd like to make sure I'm giving my A. Chalcodes the best environment I can. Thank you for any help

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_091759335~2.jpg
    IMG_20220214_091759335~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220214_091804574~2.jpg
    IMG_20220214_091804574~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How are you keeping it moist? A corner and water bowl or just the water bowl cause I know there isn't much humidity in Arizona so I don't want to get it to humid in there.
Just a water bowl and occasionally watering the bottom layers of substrate only. Don't worry about humidity, tarantulas have been adapting to their environment for millions of years.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have several arid/ semi arid species (G. rosea, pulchra, pulchripes) and they do fine in a wide range of humidity. I think many Ts do. In summer it is humid where I live and levels reached about 60% while now in winter it has dropped down to about 20%.

I mostly just keep a water bowl full, perhaps filling it every other day. I do overflow it and sometimes pour some water down a side area just to moisten it, but away from the hide.

shelbi8119

I have several arid/ semi arid species (G. rosea, pulchra, pulchripes) and they do fine in a wide range of humidity. I think many Ts do. In summer it is humid where I live and levels reached about 60% while now in winter it has dropped down to about 20%.

I mostly just keep a water bowl full, perhaps filling it every other day. I do overflow it and sometimes pour some water down a side area just to moisten it, but away from the hide.
Awesome thank you

Latest posts