• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Davus Pentaloris v Fasciatus

NottsM

Hi there folks, well, I'm getting back into the hobby after a long lay off, 16 years actually. I had a large collection that I sold to move to the US for work for two years, and after all these years the bug has got me again. Certainly been some changes - earth tigers were the big thing back then, and I was selling Psalmopoeus slings in 35mm film cases out a back pack at the BTS show for 50p each. You could get wild caught Goliath adults for £40, and Pandinus Imperator were available everwhere for a tenner. Some big changes with classification too, Brachypelma would be a good example there.

Anyway, onto my question. I am building my collection back up based on the favourites I had back then, and one of those was the Cyclosternum Fasciatus, now of course renamed to Davus. I have aquired a very nice juvenile, but are there any pointers with regards to identification to ensure I have the right species as these two look incredibly similar.

Many thanks, Mark.

NottsM

Hehe, OK, that would explain why they look so similar!! as you can see I am a little rusty with the classifications. I will take a look at the thread you have linked...

Many thanks, Mark.

NottsM

I have a few well knowns coming this week, B Hamorii, A Seemani, B Boehmei and a previously unknown to me - a Pamphoboetus sp. Machala. Great to see there is a large number of newly available species that I have never heard of, this makes for some interesting research when looking through the Taranatula vendors for sale lists. Are Thrixopelma Pruriens still available? I've not seen one for sale yet - or maybe the name has changed!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are
Try
https:/https://creaturesfromthenorth.eu/thrixiopelma-pruriensperuvian-green-velvet-3fh-1-2cm-p-142.
html/www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk/peruvian-green-velvet-tarantula-thrixopelma-pruriens