• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cyriocosmus elegans suitable with bioactive enclosure?

Aphadasia

My wife has finally agreed to let me get a tarantula, but there was only one allowed, the little tiny one with a heart on its butt. I want to do an enclosure with live plants and I've watched Tarantula Collective's video on this and wanted to make sure that this particular species would be well suited for this if I mimicked that setup. If no, what modifications are needed? Lastly, what plants would you suggest?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Usually tarantulas and live plants (I assume this is what you mean by bioactive setup) are not goos combination as plants and most tarantulas require veey different are.
The speciesyou mentioned copes well with moisture in substrate and as long as your setup is well ventilated and you don't overdo the moisture
while you water your spider will be fine.
On the other side I keep this species and its cousin Cyriocosmus leetzi and both are very shy and reclusive spiders. My adult females live happily in 10cm cubes(smaller than 16oz deli pot), dig a lot making dirt tunels and web tunels and I have seen them handful of times for the 3 years I raised them from microscopic slings to adults.
In order to have live plants you will need larger setup and you will never see your spider guaranteed.So I would not recommend this species for planted setups.
Planted setups work if you have mastered tarantula care and you choose your species well
or one or the other will suffer(being the spider or the plants)
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts