• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curlyhair sling (need advice!)

Kraoshalos

3 Year Member
Let me explain my story first. I'm an avid pet owner: two beautiful snakes (Western Hognose) and a friendly little beetle (Blue death-feigning).
But, I went to my usual monthly reptile show alone (Valentine's day woot) this month and a very friendly and generous vendor decided she'd give me a free curlyhair sling (brachy albopilosum). So I indulged, spent money on enclosures it will need growing up, food, etc. But this is my first tarantula and I kind of need some help.
It's about the size of the fingernail on my pinky (tiny) and it hasn't molted yet. The vedor lady said she had fed it a few times already as did I after I took it home just to keep it well fed.
It's been three days now, it is in this little white cup with a lid on it. VERY active, fast eater, I have high hopes for it... but this is where I need help.
-Tsling questions-
I've been keeping the substrate moist as I was told to do (with water droplets as to not mess with the Tsling).
Is this correct?^
If water droplets form on the walls during the day, is that okay or should I avoid that?
In the three days I've had it, I've fed it twice but TEENY crickets compared to it. I know that is too often, but the size of the food is kind of justifiable.
I would like to know how often I should be feeding a T so young^
-Enclosure questions-
It's in a very small container (only about four or five of them max could fit in there) but I was told it can stay in there until it molts, so I plan on moving it very soon.
-Substrate
All I have is EcoEarth so please don't recommend other stuff.
When I put it in the new enclosure, should I pack it or leave it loose?
How moist do I need to keep the substrate?
I already planned on throwing in a little hide and using tongs to make some starter burrows.
This is good too right?^
-Heat
I've heard the temperature I should be aiming for is about 70 to mid 70s and I have it sitting right next to my snake light (which is red as to not bother the T) which successfully gets the inside to about 72 (I have checked).
Is the spot next to the snake-light okay?^
Am I in a good temp. range?

Also, since I don't have the stuff to gut load the crickets, I am currently feeding them dry bug food, strawberries, and strawberry leaves.
Nothing wrong with this, right?^

Aside from those specific questions, is there any other advice I can be given to keep my sling alive through the years? Unfortunately every care sheet and stuff that I find is for adult Ts and I have nothing when it comes to solid information for this little baby.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Let me explain my story first. I'm an avid pet owner: two beautiful snakes (Western Hognose) and a friendly little beetle (Blue death-feigning).
But, I went to my usual monthly reptile show alone (Valentine's day woot) this month and a very friendly and generous vendor decided she'd give me a free curlyhair sling (brachy albopilosum). So I indulged, spent money on enclosures it will need growing up, food, etc. But this is my first tarantula and I kind of need some help.
It's about the size of the fingernail on my pinky (tiny) and it hasn't molted yet. The vedor lady said she had fed it a few times already as did I after I took it home just to keep it well fed.
It's been three days now, it is in this little white cup with a lid on it. VERY active, fast eater, I have high hopes for it... but this is where I need help.
-Tsling questions-
I've been keeping the substrate moist as I was told to do (with water droplets as to not mess with the Tsling).
Is this correct?^
If water droplets form on the walls during the day, is that okay or should I avoid that?
In the three days I've had it, I've fed it twice but TEENY crickets compared to it. I know that is too often, but the size of the food is kind of justifiable.
I would like to know how often I should be feeding a T so young^
-Enclosure questions-
It's in a very small container (only about four or five of them max could fit in there) but I was told it can stay in there until it molts, so I plan on moving it very soon.
-Substrate
All I have is EcoEarth so please don't recommend other stuff.
When I put it in the new enclosure, should I pack it or leave it loose?
How moist do I need to keep the substrate?
I already planned on throwing in a little hide and using tongs to make some starter burrows.
This is good too right?^
-Heat
I've heard the temperature I should be aiming for is about 70 to mid 70s and I have it sitting right next to my snake light (which is red as to not bother the T) which successfully gets the inside to about 72 (I have checked).
Is the spot next to the snake-light okay?^
Am I in a good temp. range?

Also, since I don't have the stuff to gut load the crickets, I am currently feeding them dry bug food, strawberries, and strawberry leaves.
Nothing wrong with this, right?^

Aside from those specific questions, is there any other advice I can be given to keep my sling alive through the years? Unfortunately every care sheet and stuff that I find is for adult Ts and I have nothing when it comes to solid information for this little baby.
Welcome to the forum.
B. albopilosum, IMO, is the best first T to get in the hobby with. I have a nearly 6" female and she is awesome. Currently raising a 3/4" B. sabolusum in a 16 oz. deli cup.
To answer some of your questions. I feed my slings twice per week. I keep the substrate, topsoil and peat mixture, moist, not to the point of condensation forming and firmly packed. I have about 4 dozen air holes, for ventilation, on the sides. Most all slings dig a burrow when less than 1" they are more secure underground. I rehoused 5 C. marschalli slings yesterday and all started digging their burrows, 2 were about an 1" deep. No need to start a hole for them, they know how and where to dig. As far as temp is concerned, mine are kept at close to 80 degrees. Higher temps, twice weekly feeding and higher humidity will help speed molting and get them out of the sling stage quicker. No real need to gut load your crickets, IMO its not necessary, however its your decision. [emoji4]

One website I can suggest for a good basic care sheet on B. albopilosum is: www.mikebasictarantula.com/Species-Care-Sheet.Html.
Hope I helped. Again "great" first T.

Kraoshalos

3 Year Member
Okay, so it burrowed itself a hole and sealed off the entrance, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Will it come up to eat?
How do I know if it is nearing shed?
(I can see inside the burrow btw, right on the edge)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry it will eat but you may not know it's moulting until you find the old exo pushed out of the burrow.

2 of mine burrowed down to the bottom so I could see them scuttling around but the smallest was completely hidden from view. I only knew it was ok as food disappeared until it recently surfaced and then left it's exo then made a neat opening to its burrow and now comes out most days.

Kraoshalos

3 Year Member
Idk it just kinda scares me a little since there's no way it can eat when it's sealed up down there.
I did fatten it up recently feeding it just a little bit more than what is recommended so I imagine it's entering the molt stage, I'm just completely ignorant on the whole thing... never had a sling before...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I understand how you feel, I was just the same with my first slings but believe me it will be fine.

I have a little C. fasciatum that I have only seen a couple of times in the 5 months I've had it and that was when I rehoused it. It has burrowed below it's little water bowl and every so often I find it tilted over and crickets disappear over night so I know it's ok.