• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cupiennius coccieneus - Banana Wandering Spider

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys,

I have had my adult female Cupiennius coccieneus going on a year now. When I purchased her, I was told she was a "virgin" being captive bred. However, this morning when misting the enclosure I noticed an egg sac on her abdomen. Mine is not as white as sacs usually are but more of a greyish black. I am thinking it is unfertalized? However, for precautions, can anyone tell me the size of the babies? I have a standard window screen on the top of the enclosure and want to ensure the babies cannot escape as I enjoy being married! I really don't want to try and re-locate her until after the sac hatches if possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Denny,

U really think it could be fertilized after a year? I know sometimes they make unfertilized egg sacs.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just read this:

" She controls when she will use the sperm from the male to fertilize her eggs. This can be right away or she can wait for a period of up to a year. She will then focus all her attention the eggs. She creates a sack for them make out of the silk her body produces."

So, it is conceivable that we have ourselves a live egg sac!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey Denny...u got a min. to chat? I got a couple questions maybe u can answer.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry, just saw this. Heading off to work. Send me a PM and I will check it out as soon as I can.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is still carrying it. It looks pretty dark and gray though. I am thinking we have an infertile sac but will keep you posted from here on out.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bummer! She has dropped the sac. It was a dud. All that work on her part for naught.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great points. Mixed emotions as there is a TON of work but she is such a gorgeous species that IF I were to give it a go, this species would have been one worth the effort.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. Would have been able to give everyone on this forum a sling.

I did speak with the dealer I purchased her from. He has had several generations of Cupiennius and they are all captive bred. So, he told me it was incredibly doubtful that the sac would produce. And sure enough she dropped it the next day. He had several slings available so if you really want one, I can connect you if you live int he states.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No i dont think im ready for another yet. I would have just done it to help u out bud. :) My wife is getting pretty say defensive for lack of a better word about my spider collection so far so i think im gonna cool it for a while. lol

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Smart. I always know when to pick my battles and just happy she lets me have what I have. Still not permitted to have roaches in the house. But still slowly trying to work that in whenever I can.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah my wife wont have roaches either. I try telling her it isnt the ones she is thinking of. these arent going to infest the house. But she wont budge. Just the word "roaches" i guess. should just call them dubia and they wouldnt know the difference. They dont even look like common roaches.

Latest posts