• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Converting your Garage

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It was mentioned in a thread here for tips to convert a garage into a T room.

I've not converted one to a T room, but i have helped convert a couple into bedrooms, so the same theories should apply.

WIndows - the one thing I've seen people do and mess up horribly. Don't go cheap, insulated is best to keep the temp fluctuations controlled all year round. A friend first used cheap single pane uninsulated windows to save money, but ended up spending double or triple what a storm window or insulated window would have cost in the increase in the power bill for heating and cooling the room. Next spring we put in storm windows and that made quite a difference.

Insulation - Same as the exterior walls of your house. We used faced Pink from OwensCorning, R-21 if i recall correctly.

Tricky part is the garage door. If you rent or intend to use the door again, put a "fake" wall in front of the door. We insulated between the wall and roll up door and then insulated the wall. Sounds like overkill but there were no drafts and temps in the room were consistent.

Speaking of doors, you'll need to insulate the man door also. Might have to put in a better frame to allow for the insulation strips depending how the door was built in.

Both of the garages i helped convert had a ceiling already that was insulated and the attic portion floored and used as storage. If your garage doesn't have a ceiling that could change things as it'd be a lot more space to heat and cool. I'd put in a fake ceiling if it were me. Run 2x6s from one side to the other and sheet rock the ceiling and insulate as you go.

We used a portable heater in a custom built box on the floor to prevent it tipping over or being knocked over accidentaly, with adequate rear space for airflow. We used a portable swamp cooler for the summer, with the window opened in the evening and mornings it kept the humidity down. You could also use an air conditioner, but you'd have to vent it out the window or create a vent in the wall.

Guess i should mention the insulation type and thickness we used were for the Idaho summers and winters, mostly winters as here in the mountains it can get down right cold. Saturday morning here was -20F with a daytime high of 6F. So adjust for your location :)

This is what we did that i can remember off hand, hope it gives some ideas :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This could possibly work up north Or out west, but people who live in hotter climates would have a very difficult time keeping their tarantulas alive.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
This could possibly work up north Or out west, but people who live in hotter climates would have a very difficult time keeping their tarantulas alive.
agree this would be a no go in Southern Cali- heck in the summer I am in the triple digits. My T's stay at the same temp we do and so far I haven't had a single loss or issue with molting etc.. Great advice for the super clod climates though

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can work anywhere. Insulation keeps the heat out, and in. ac unit and your set for summer, heater for winter.

Summer an hour south where we did one garage is typically high 90s low 100s for most of the summer, and rarely drops below 20s in winter.

No different than your house really if done properly.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup. When insulation is efficient, you would rarely have trouble with ambient temps. Providing you have something to cool the room with like an ACU for hotter climes.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can work anywhere. Insulation keeps the heat out, and in. ac unit and your set for summer, heater for winter.

Summer an hour south where we did one garage is typically high 90s low 100s for most of the summer, and rarely drops below 20s in winter.

No different than your house really if done properly.

I see. That is pretty interesting to know. Perhaps when I'm on my own and if I have a garage at all I can give this a try lol. Even though we do have problems with roaches down here and they love to come into garages. It wouldn't be a threat to the tarantulas even if they got into the enclosures with them (more food for them) except that our wild roaches here are so icky I can only imagine what kind of parasites they might have living on/in them and then there's pesticide exposure. But whatever, that's a whole different discussion there.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It was mentioned in a thread here for tips to convert a garage into a T room.

I've not converted one to a T room, but i have helped convert a couple into bedrooms, so the same theories should apply.

WIndows - the one thing I've seen people do and mess up horribly. Don't go cheap, insulated is best to keep the temp fluctuations controlled all year round. A friend first used cheap single pane uninsulated windows to save money, but ended up spending double or triple what a storm window or insulated window would have cost in the increase in the power bill for heating and cooling the room. Next spring we put in storm windows and that made quite a difference.

Insulation - Same as the exterior walls of your house. We used faced Pink from OwensCorning, R-21 if i recall correctly.

Tricky part is the garage door. If you rent or intend to use the door again, put a "fake" wall in front of the door. We insulated between the wall and roll up door and then insulated the wall. Sounds like overkill but there were no drafts and temps in the room were consistent.

Speaking of doors, you'll need to insulate the man door also. Might have to put in a better frame to allow for the insulation strips depending how the door was built in.

Both of the garages i helped convert had a ceiling already that was insulated and the attic portion floored and used as storage. If your garage doesn't have a ceiling that could change things as it'd be a lot more space to heat and cool. I'd put in a fake ceiling if it were me. Run 2x6s from one side to the other and sheet rock the ceiling and insulate as you go.

We used a portable heater in a custom built box on the floor to prevent it tipping over or being knocked over accidentaly, with adequate rear space for airflow. We used a portable swamp cooler for the summer, with the window opened in the evening and mornings it kept the humidity down. You could also use an air conditioner, but you'd have to vent it out the window or create a vent in the wall.

Guess i should mention the insulation type and thickness we used were for the Idaho summers and winters, mostly winters as here in the mountains it can get down right cold. Saturday morning here was -20F with a daytime high of 6F. So adjust for your location :)

This is what we did that i can remember off hand, hope it gives some ideas :)
Thanks for this advice. I am considering converting my integrated garage this year a d was actually discussing it last night with me builder friend during a New Yerss eve party....or I think I was....all a bit hazy this morning. Certainly don't have the cooling issues here in the UK!!!! Thanks gain, a good thread to keep in the back pocket. Happy new year.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My whole problem with keeping my spiders in my shop is that they would be in my shop, and I would be in my house. I could never sleep like that. It's just wrong..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My whole problem with keeping my spiders in my shop is that they would be in my shop, and I would be in my house. I could never sleep like that. It's just wrong..
All of mine are in my bedroom. Even use the Pokies tanks a bed side features....lol