• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

concerned about b vagans sling

WolfCrazy64

3 Year Member
Hello everyone, two days ago my b vagans sling Rita molted. Since then she has been sitting in one place with her legs scrunched up close to her body and barely reacts when I touch her. When she does attempt to move it's in an almost robotic way, as if her joints are locked in place. She is only around 2 cm big with legs and I am very worried about her. My 10 other t's are fine. I will try and get a picture up tomorrow

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It takes them a few days to harden up after a moult so you may be stressing her by trying to get her to move.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
It's a tough process for them. After a molt, their legs are soft like spaghetti noodles and it's difficult for them to maneuver. They are in survival mode. It will scrunch up and "hide" then it'll lay flat and stretch its legs all out. It's the Ts way of protecting itself while also hardening. In my experience little slings recover from molting faster than large adults. I feed my slings 4-5 days after their molt and adults, depending, somewhere between 7-14 days. To be safe, I pre kill the prey and drop it right next to the sling, just so the prey can't hurt the T. That way the T can eat safely when it wants.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a tough process for them. After a molt, their legs are soft like spaghetti noodles and it's difficult for them to maneuver. They are in survival mode. It will scrunch up and "hide" then it'll lay flat and stretch its legs all out. It's the Ts way of protecting itself while also hardening. In my experience little slings recover from molting faster than large adults. I feed my slings 4-5 days after their molt and adults, depending, somewhere between 7-14 days. To be safe, I pre kill the prey and drop it right next to the sling, just so the prey can't hurt the T. That way the T can eat safely when it wants.
agreed. And they know when it's time to eat, they won't damage their fangs by trying to eat too soon. at least none of mine have. If i drop a roach in too early after a molt they'll slap at it when it comes near, or just run away.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hello everyone, I checked her just now and sadly she has passed away :(
Sorry to hear of your loss. was hoping this would be a happier ending. As others have said, this is the most stressful thing that a T has to go through. unfortunatly, was too much for the little one. :(

Latest posts