• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Communal

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not me, and never heard about that. Did you read anything interesting about such a possibility with P murinus?

Or do you have 178 OBT slings you don't want to rehouse? :D
I saw some poorly made videos of them on youtube. I would like to try it since they are fairly cheap unlike m balfouris. So if I did end up with one fat T it wouldnt be as bad a Financial lost. Plus a box of OBTs wont be boring,specially rehousing;)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
It seems people have tried it and been able to keep them communal when slings. But as far as I know, problems (cannibalism) happened when they grew bigger. Anyway, if you want to try the experiment, keep us updated on how it goes, because most of threads like these on forums are well documented at the beginning, but with no news about how it ends... Just separate them as soon as you notice cannibalism.

There are two theories about communal keeping as far as I know. First one is to give them only one hide and a restrained space, so that they are constantly in touch with one another and don't develop territories (= fightings). I guess it works like this for Poecilotheria (but failed with my Pokies communal!).

Second one is to give them enough space to provide lots of little territories, which would avoid fightings (everyone has its place/home). I guess it works for... everybody, until they are too big and begin to spread on someone else's place, and... kill kill kill! As you can see, it doesn't mean being truly communal, it means tolerating each other because enough space is provided. IMHO, P murinus belong to the second category.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It seems people have tried it and been able to keep them communal when slings. But as far as I know, problems (cannibalism) happened when they grew bigger. Anyway, if you want to try the experiment, keep us updated on how it goes, because most of threads like these on forums are well documented at the beginning, but with no news about how it ends... Just separate them as soon as you notice cannibalism.

There are two theories about communal keeping as far as I know. First one is to give them only one hide and a restrained space, so that they are constantly in touch with one another and don't develop territories (= fightings). I guess it works like this for Poecilotheria (but failed with my Pokies communal!).

Second one is to give them enough space to provide lots of little territories, which would avoid fightings (everyone has its place/home). I guess it works for... everybody, until they are too big and begin to spread on someone else's place, and... kill kill kill! As you can see, it doesn't mean being truly communal, it means tolerating each other because enough space is provided. IMHO, P murinus belong to the second category.
I'm going to think about it. I would like to start a communal at some point this year.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Sounds great! Gather all informations you can, try, and keep everyone here informed: we have still a lot to learn about these wonderful creatures!

As far as communals go, the most obvious choices are:
- Monocentropus balfouri (but, as you said, it's an expensive communal!)
- Neoholothele incei (small but beautiful)

For arboreals, some Poecilotheria spp. seem to be ok kept communally.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I had p rufilater communal for about a year and a half before it went wrong they waited until one was in a moult to kill each other didn't even eat each other just literally mauld the one that was moulting that's when I gave up and stopped documenting it as far as I know the only species to be kept communally 100% successfully are the baulfouries and the incies oh and a true spider known as the Indian social spider which is really small but there's like hundreds that live together pretty cool

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
giphy.gif
Yeah I just saw that and came back to correct it :)

Latest posts