• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Communal Enclosures

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Post your communal enclosure details here.
Size of enclosure
Species being kept
Number of animals
Number of hides
How often fed and how many feeders introduced
Any other interesting details or observations.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
My few communals:

M.balfouri
2 x females, 1 x male
3 hides
Enclosure is 45 x 20 x 20 cm high
Feed once every 2 weeks or so. Usually throw 5 or 6 roaches in at a time. I have a waterbowl that I fill every few months with a light misting.
Super tolerant if each other. The male is mature and guessing he did mate with one of the females, but the sac never hatched.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Poecilotheria regalis
1 x adult female and around 80 2nd instar babies. Will reduce this to around 10 babies though.
Enclosure is 20 x 20 x 50 cm high
Single hide
Currently feeding once a week or 2. A few adult roaches for mommy and a whole lot of small roaches for the babies to hunt

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Poecilotheria formosa
1 x adult female and 4 juvies
Enclosure size is 20 x 20 x 50 cm high
1 hide
Fed a handful of adult roaches once very 2 weeks

Here is how they started off:

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Poecilotheria striata
1 adult female 18cm, 5 subadult females, 7 subadult males (all around 13cm) and 2 juvies
Enclosure is 20 x 20 x 50 cm high
2 hides
I have purposefully fed these very little to observe if there is cannabilism. Probably fed once every 2 or 3 weeks by throwing a handful of roaches in.
These have been super tolerant of each other. There were 0 casualties observed from the first sac left with the female (around 2 years ago, these are the subadults). The 2nd sac was pulled and babies were reintroduced (10 babies about a year ago). Out of the 2nd batch, only 2 made it.

Here is a previous pic of them while being rehoused:

And here is how it started 2 years ago:

The Wormwood

3 Year Member
This is amazing, thanks for posting Ceratogyrus! I had no idea Balfouris could be housed communally... (this is dangerous information for me, since I'm on a waitlist for slings, haha). Can I ask at what stage they were introduced?

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
This is amazing, thanks for posting Ceratogyrus! I had no idea Balfouris could be housed communally... (this is dangerous information for me, since I'm on a waitlist for slings, haha). Can I ask at what stage they were introduced?

They have been together from the egg case.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow that's pretty incredible. Glad it's working out so well for you. I've not done it and I'm not sure I would. But then again, I'm not breeding nor dealing with large numbers of Ts