• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Colour Change after Moulting?

angelle

3 Year Member
My T moulted Sunday/Monday (her 1st with me) and when she was done I was completely floored at the difference in colour! Is that normal? She went from an orange/brown colour to grey/silver and black with two pink spots. One on either side of her eyes. Does that usually happen?

Before:
image.jpeg

After:
image.jpeg

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yup, that's totally normal! Their colors tend to change a bit after a fresh molt. As time goes on, they'll start to look more brown. My G. porteri just molted (first time in about 7 years!) and she looks fantastic now...not at all the brown tones she was sporting before the molt. :)

angelle

3 Year Member
I really wish she'd stay this color. She's gorgeous. I'm taking tons of pictures because eventually I want to have a tattoo done of her. I think I'd prefer to get it done of her after moult.

Could I see a picture of your G. porteri?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I hear you. Not that I don't love this girl regardless, but her new coloration was quite striking when compared to the brown.

Sure! Here's a pic from right after she molted. You can see her molt just to the right of her. Her coloration definitely changed. That purplish carapace would sure pop on a tat. :)

03cd352a-6418-47a7-9bc8-e0182f8fbba9_zpsbi934imp.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@angelle just an observation, but that looks like some pretty big chips for bedding for her. might wanna get some finer cocofiber or something. be a little more comfortable for the spider....she is very cool looking BTW. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't know, sometimes I question the substrate debate. Certain types of wood are said to be toxic to invertebrates, but many are not, and many terrestrials don't burrow. I've found that spiders seem to love rocks. Every spider I own that has rocks in its enclosure tends to love sitting on them. I think soon I'll be trying different wood chips, rocks, and plants in some enclosures along with the usual coco peat. It's fun to switch things around from time to time and see how different species react to new things. I may even try smooth gravel in an area..that might be interesting..I'd bet money it becomes a favorite sitting spot for some of them.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never really thought about that @MassExodus . i guess if u give them both in an enclosure u can see what they like. I mean thats how it is in the wild. there isnt cocofiber all over the ground everywhere. lol

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The colors fade over time. The longer they go between molts the more color they lose. My G pulchra will go from a beautiful deep lustrous black, to dull walnut brown over the course of 18 months. Even mounted exuviums lose color over time.
The substrate debate boils down to what is safest and appropriate for the species, and what you like. Tarantulas are quite opportunistic and will make a home out of whatever is available. Would be very interesting to design a large enclosure with say 4-6 distinct substrate and decor areas to see which a particular species might choose.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just bought what they had available. Though I'm going to switch I think.
Don't be afraid to experiment. Personally I love looking over from my desk and seeing my GBB sitting at the peak of her rock mountain, surveying her domain :) A five pound rock does make for a heavy enclosure though :p

Latest posts