• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chaetopelma Ovilaceum gender

Edmund Hanna

3 Year Member
Hello from Lebanon!

I found 2 Chaetopelma Ovilaceum in this apartment. One about a month ago, and one just now. I kept the first one as a pet, someone said it's a male, but I'd like to take your opinions. Here it is when I first found it:

20151110184622.jpg

Here is the second spider I just found:
NNqx_EH3_L.jpg

They're of the same color, the second picture seems that way because of my camera flash.

So, what gender is each spider?

Thanks in advance!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The first one looks male, but you could confirm it if it's a mature male by looking for tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps. I can't load the second picture, but usually (usually) when you find a tarantula in the open or in a house or backyard, it's a male looking for females to breed with. Females generally make a hole and stay in it, except when they're either hunting (which is usually done at the edge of their burrow) or displaced by rain flooding their burrow, or predators/pests driving them away.

Edmund Hanna

3 Year Member
The first one looks male, but you could confirm it if it's a mature male by looking for tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps. I can't load the second picture, but usually (usually) when you find a tarantula in the open or in a house or backyard, it's a male looking for females to breed with. Females generally make a hole and stay in it, except when they're either hunting (which is usually done at the edge of their burrow) or displaced by rain flooding their burrow, or predators/pests driving them away.
I understand the likeliness of the second one being a male, but I found some physical differences that got me curious. The second spider has longer legs, though almost the same body size (longer abdomen, but thin), has colored vents (the first one doesn't), and is a lot more defensive. Here is a clearer photo I took
Some person told me that the difference in the carapace (those violet markings) could tell gender difference. What do you think?/

Attachments

• 12243634_928828580530061_1930018780_n.jpg
    12243634_928828580530061_1930018780_n.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 20

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just guessing by looking at them, I'd say they're both male. Also, from what I've read, there's several color variations but they're saying it's the same species with different color forms. There's really not a lot of info out there about them. Apparently it's yet another species that needs some attention.

Edmund Hanna

3 Year Member
Indeed. They're only found in the Middle East and there isn't any interest in exotic pets in general. Also, I don't think it's legally possible to deliver them to the outside, at least not in Lebanon...
The thing is that when I rented this apartment, it was infested with pests... I've only seen one big spider in my 20 years in Lebanon before renting this place, now I find every two weeks. My balcony stares at a valley, lotsa greens and rocks but very rainy winters. There's web in every corner of the place and it has a false ceiling, so I'm confident that I've a few hundred flatmate spideys I don't know about :p But that's also why I wouldn't be surprised if a female appeared, specially noting that the past few weeks have had rainy days. Wouldn't it be interesting if I got both genders and eventually breed them? Maybe I'll figure out a way to sneak them out of the country... Though I won't be sure until they molt, I took a picture of the abdomen where I think I see the flap. What do you think?
12272945_929244877155098_1609197074_n.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Indeed. They're only found in the Middle East and there isn't any interest in exotic pets in general. Also, I don't think it's legally possible to deliver them to the outside, at least not in Lebanon...
The thing is that when I rented this apartment, it was infested with pests... I've only seen one big spider in my 20 years in Lebanon before renting this place, now I find every two weeks. My balcony stares at a valley, lotsa greens and rocks but very rainy winters. There's web in every corner of the place and it has a false ceiling, so I'm confident that I've a few hundred flatmate spideys I don't know about :p But that's also why I wouldn't be surprised if a female appeared, specially noting that the past few weeks have had rainy days. Wouldn't it be interesting if I got both genders and eventually breed them? Maybe I'll figure out a way to sneak them out of the country... Though I won't be sure until they molt, I took a picture of the abdomen where I think I see the flap. What do you think?
12272945_929244877155098_1609197074_n.jpg
I think you might have a female there :) Good luck with the breeding, and once again, it's great seeing a hobbyist in your neck of the woods :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
The first one is definitely an ultimate male. He very likely won't survive another molt. None of the pictures of #2 would load for me, so I can't say, but if it is leggier than the first it is likely male, too. The females tend to be more robust, and the males are lankier at maturity. I'd let the male go so he can find a date, or go dig up a hole and find a girl for him that way. If you find them wandering, they're probably male.

Edmund Hanna

3 Year Member
The first one is definitely an ultimate male. He very likely won't survive another molt. None of the pictures of #2 would load for me, so I can't say, but if it is leggier than the first it is likely male, too. The females tend to be more robust, and the males are lankier at maturity. I'd let the male go so he can find a date, or go dig up a hole and find a girl for him that way. If you find them wandering, they're probably male.
I'm thinking it. Well, So far I've 3 Chaetopelmas, and while I usually rely on moths to feed them, I might have to start breeding feeder ****roaches or crickets before the winter. So it depends on whether I find some this week or I don't. They don't exactly sell them here... So, if I don't find anything to feed them, I'll have to let them go.
How long do you suppose the first one would live?
Well, I can see the epigastric furrow on the first one, and the third one (not mentioned here), but not the second one. Though odds are its male, I'm not so sure, really.
Honestly, it's quite cold for them when it's not noon, so they'll probably run back to the building and get killed by someone :p

Thistles

3 Year Member
You can see the epigastric furrow in both sexes, but it looks different in males than in females. Ultimate males generally only live a few months to a year post maturity, but some make it for a few years. It depends on the species. I'm not sure about Chaetopelma. Adult males don't eat very often, so as long as you catch a feeder for each every month or so they won't starve.

Edmund Hanna

3 Year Member
You guys were right, it's a male. Unfortunately, it died... I could only examine it closely then. I guess I should have let it go, maybe it'd find a mate...

Thistles

3 Year Member
You guys were right, it's a male. Unfortunately, it died... I could only examine it closely then. I guess I should have let it go, maybe it'd find a mate...
Don't feel bad. He would have died anyway and maybe he found a mate before you found him. Mature males just don't last very long.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't be put off by it, keep looking for females to breed :) At least you can release some and pick and choose what you keep...start a feeder colony and you're in t heaven..don't forget the fact that you're probably breaking new ground over there ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First picture is a mature male. If you look closely, you can see his swollen palps.

Latest posts