• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can my OBT escape through these gaps?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I finally went and bought a nutter :p (no offence to nutters, I am one).

We had a bit of a housing crisis as he was bigger than I thought he was going to be. The enclosure I felt was too small for him (and me, for having space to do maintenance) is on the left. I have now put him in this critter keeper however I am worried whether he can fit through the gaps? I have heard that if they can fit their carapace through they can squeeze everything through, but I'm still finding that hard to judge.

For now I am keeping his enclosure in the bath and keep peeking into the room just in case! Alternatively I do have a 5.8L braplast tub I could melt holes into.

DSC01271 - Copy.JPG
DSC01285 - Copy.JPG
DSC01286 - Copy.JPG

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
P.S: looking at the size of your spider, the plastic enclosure with the green lock is more than big enough for it. You might want to wait a couple of molts before using the black one. Cheers.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies!

@Oursapoil - Oh, I thought he was a Houdini, ahaha.

@ilovebrachys - He is an OBT classic, so I assume the most commonly known orange one? :)

Yes it's known as the TCF (true colour form)
There's also
RCF
DCF
BCF
OCF
UMV

They are so great - just a shame they get a bad rep there many NW tarantulas that behave more defensive than p. Murinus IMAO :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Yes it's known as the TCF (true colour form)
There's also
RCF
DCF
BCF
OCF
UMV

They are so great - just a shame they get a bad rep there many NW tarantulas that behave more defensive than p. Murinus IMAO :)

I knew there was more than one colour form but didn't know there were that many! Interesting. I have heard them described as the 'OW version of the Green bottle blue', regarding their amount of webbing and semi-arboreal tendencies, which really attracted me to them.

Yeah I watched a lot of videos of re-housings and their behaviour seemed to depend a lot on how gentle/respectful the owner was with them. Tarantula Kat on YT discussed how maybe their bad rep is partly due to how commonly sold they are, so loads of people have them including brand new keepers who then hype them up. When maybe their behaviour is really not much different from other old worlds; the speed of them would have freaked me out if it was my first. However yup I have seen evidence of why never to underestimate a NW :p

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Each animal has its own personality, and sensitivities/tendencies.

I have 4 x P murinus, 2 are kinda shy, one is is rarely seen and the other would make Mike Tyson proud.

Be respectful of all your Ts