• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C.versicolor molting ?

MissKitty

Can anyone tell me when they go thru their first molt? I don't know how old mine is,she's ( I say "she" in a hopeful way) a spiderling. I was just wondering how old they are when they go through their first molt,and I suppose,just like kids,they are all different!!!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can anyone tell me when they go thru their first molt? I don't know how old mine is,she's ( I say "she" in a hopeful way) a spiderling. I was just wondering how old they are when they go through their first molt,and I suppose,just like kids,they are all different!!!
It depends, tarantulas in general don't molt at a certain age, it really depends on how much you feed them and the temperature.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you already have a metallic blue sling at approx 1cm or bigger, "she" has already had he first moult and possibly subsequent moults too.
Instar or L are the reference to a true moult (I.e. the moult that takes place AFTER the walking egg stage which is what they basically are when they leave the sac.

Below are pics if my B albopolisum breeding. The first one is still the slings all huddled together as "walking eggs"

The second pic is the start of the moulting process (Instar/L1) I have circled one of the slings that has moulted. As you can see the appearance is more Tarantula like than the siblings around it.

Once this moult has taken places and they have had a week or so to recover they are basically hunting and killing machines and so need to be separated to avoid cannibalism. In this case, 403 times! ha ha
Hope this helps :)
20190504_151727.jpg
20190511_150903.jpg