• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C.versicolor had a bad molt. Advice please.

x_raphael_xx

Webster the C.versicolor has had a very bad molt.

I thought it was going to be a bad one when I found him on the bottom of the enclosure. On Saturday he at first tried to molt upright, kept stretching up but couldn't get that first carapace break.
Then he flipped over and I relaxed a little, thinking we were back to normal. He took hours and when I went to bed he had tipped onto his side but still hadn't started getting the old suit off.

Next morning I found him climbing awkwardly back up the cork bark. By the evening he was back on the floor, on his side, and was starting to push his legs out. I came down this morning and it was not good.
He has dropped both his pedipalps, and his legs are all curved and bent.

I just don't know what to do. I could possibly make sure hes fed and watered, and try to get him to another molt. But I doubt he'd get through it.
Do I euthanise him? I can't face that, but will do what I need to if I must.

20240220_161721578_iOS.jpg
20240220_162106329_iOS.jpg

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Poor guy it's just terrible to see him like this.
I don't have much advice just wanted to share condolences and see what others say that you could do, and possibly learn myself.
:( <3

My M. Balfori had a bad molt and lost the front 2 legs plus the pedipalp on that side as well. One of her back legs was bent upward at angle that made that leg an impairment and hindrance. She is still with me to this day! She started growing back her lost appendages and popped her bad leg off with the next molt. She molted again and is starting to look like a whole spider again. She can hunt on her own again as well. If your spider is free from the molt there is hope. I nursed mine through by pre killing her food. Your T looks rough but I believe there is hope. Don't give up on them. They can be remarkable with their ability to recoup from from some stuff. I wish you and your T all the best and hope it works out for y'all.

x_raphael_xx

My M. Balfori had a bad molt and lost the front 2 legs plus the pedipalp on that side as well. One of her back legs was bent upward at angle that made that leg an impairment and hindrance. She is still with me to this day! She started growing back her lost appendages and popped her bad leg off with the next molt. She molted again and is starting to look like a whole spider again. She can hunt on her own again as well. If your spider is free from the molt there is hope. I nursed mine through by pre killing her food. Your T looks rough but I believe there is hope. Don't give up on them. They can be remarkable with their ability to recoup from from some stuff. I wish you and your T all the best and hope it works out for y'all.
Thank you.
If he only had one or two bad/dropped legs I think he’d be okay. But its all his legs, he can’t move around.
I really don’t think he’d have the coordination to get through another molt, even if I was able to get him to that stage

x_raphael_xx

He’s able to shuffle around, not actually walk but hes been moving.
I’ve decided if he takes food I will give him a chance. I haven’t tried yet as his fangs haven’t hardened.
I’m not convinced he’ll get though a molt, but we’ll see

Hagraven

He’s able to shuffle around, not actually walk but hes been moving.
I’ve decided if he takes food I will give him a chance. I haven’t tried yet as his fangs haven’t hardened.
I’m not convinced he’ll get though a molt, but we’ll see
Poor thing. Heartbreaking to see. I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer, but your decision to wait and see if he eats seems sound. As it was said, maybe try both pre-killed food and live food at different times if one isn't taken at first. Who knows, maybe with your care he'll molt again- and perhaps soon. I know its way different, but my adult Aphonopelma Seemanni, who had lost a leg, molted twice in about two months. I think it was this forum that taught me that when a molt is not ideal, or if the spider sees benefit in molting again, they will do so really quickly. Really hope your guy pulls through. Bad molt aside, what a beautiful animal. All the best.

x_raphael_xx

Just an update.
I tried to feed him, but his fangs seemed to also be in the wrong position, like buck-toothed rather than back against his mouth. I don't know if it effect his eating but he didn't want to know.
He passed away a couple of days later.

Leepbby

3 Year Member
Webster the C.versicolor has had a very bad molt.

I thought it was going to be a bad one when I found him on the bottom of the enclosure. On Saturday he at first tried to molt upright, kept stretching up but couldn't get that first carapace break.
Then he flipped over and I relaxed a little, thinking we were back to normal. He took hours and when I went to bed he had tipped onto his side but still hadn't started getting the old suit off.

Next morning I found him climbing awkwardly back up the cork bark. By the evening he was back on the floor, on his side, and was starting to push his legs out. I came down this morning and it was not good.
He has dropped both his pedipalps, and his legs are all curved and bent.

I just don't know what to do. I could possibly make sure hes fed and watered, and try to get him to another molt. But I doubt he'd get through it.
Do I euthanise him? I can't face that, but will do what I need to if I must.

View attachment 72704
View attachment 72702View attachment 72703
I'm so sorry about your little man. What did you end up doing? This happened to my A. calchodes male when he molted post ultimate molt and this is what he looked like as well but yours wasn't a mature male already was he? Again so sorry I hate to see when this happens to a T you raised and can't do anything to help them so sad.

Leepbby

3 Year Member
I'm so sorry about your little man. What did you end up doing? This happened to my A. calchodes male when he molted post ultimate molt and this is what he looked like as well but yours wasn't a mature male already was he? Again so sorry I hate to see when this happens to a T you raised and can't do anything to help them so sad.
Sorry did not see that he did in fact pass away so sorry for you loss.