• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bleeding abdomen, what do I do?

<3ley

Hi so I’m kind of freaking out here. My stirmi, who I posted about a bit ago giving me a scare thinking she was going to die but was just doing weird tarantula things, is bleeding.

I’ll fully admit I didn’t catch it because I thought it was poop. I saw it on her underside, gob of that distinctly milky white color compared to the clear hemolymph, she’s been spending a lot of time around her water dish which she did poop in. I was trying to clean out the water dish and she kicked hair at me, like she always does (she is very kick-happy and there’s little I can do about it) when I watched two beads of hemolymph come out of her abdomen and run down it.
IMG_6372.jpeg

You can see the two specks there on her abdomen. I have no idea what punctured it. She has been completely fine and totally lively, and has been behaving no differently. She molted about a week ago now, and it was mostly a fine molt—but with how much she kicks hair, the upper half of the abdomen did get stuck with how dried/raw it was (I’ve tried everything to not get her to kick, and it’s not like I interact with her a ton, I leave her alone most of the time but any time I even slightly interact with the enclosure she goes crazy kicking). The molt was not very stuck mind you, her carapace was attached to the back part completely off, not at all stuck to her it was just attached to the upper half of the abdomen molt which was just sticking to her because it was dry. I pulled the molt off partially and I did it by the carapace that was attached to the other half of the molt. I did NOT touch the abdomen at all. She then tried to kick hair at me and knocked the rest of the molt off.

She is behaving completely as normal, like she isn’t even injured. It couldn’t have been prey, either. I tried to give her a worm when her fangs hardened and I made sure to crush its head beforehand because I just don’t trust those jaws. She didn’t take it. I’m scared to death for her and I don’t know what to do or what I could even do to apply anything, because again she’s relentless with hair kicking and the second she even senses something change in the enclosure like me bringing my tongs in she’ll start.

I’m so freaked out, I don’t know what to do. She’s been thriving all this time I’ve had her and she’s in great health, I thought I was doing everything right…

<3ley

Update: Behavior still hasn’t changed at all. I followed advice on some other forums/sources and applied corn starch which was a nightmare, she fought me the whole way. Her water dish is nasty because she pooped so much in it that it’s actually foggy but I can’t take it out… she’ll kick again if I do anything, I misted as much as I could but everything sets her off and while she’s injured I don’t want to make her hurt herself more.

She’s always a really hungry girl, so this might explain somewhat why she was so disinterested in the worm I offered. She was also pooping a lot, like I mentioned earlier, that white, milky substance was all over the lower part of her abdomen. I can say with 100% certainty it was not hemolymph.

<3ley

Another update. Had few options and ended up calling the local shop I bought all but one of my Ts from (this stirmi is from there) to ask about emergency care and what advice they might have that I might have not seen online. We talked and one of the staff members said it sounded less like a puncture wound and more like a rip from the molt+frequent kicking. Not sure if that’s better or worse.
She was extremely, strangely calm for a moment when I lifted up her plant to re-apply the cornstarch but then she re-entered maniac mode quickly so I assume she might have been asleep. Otherwise no notable behavioral changes. I re-applied the cornstarch successfully and haven’t seen any other bits of hemolymph beading up on her abdomen, but with all the cornstarch there I might have missed it. Water dish is full, substrate damp, there are some already killed super worms sitting around for her to grab if she shows interest. Now I guess only time will tell.

But because she’s such a menace there is corn starch. EVERYWHERE. I’m going to need to give this enclosure a thorough cleaning because it looks like a powdered donut exploded here. Considering the stirmi hair death trap that’s probably awaiting me, that’s gonna be fun…

Holding out for her. She’s my favorite T of my little crew and I don’t know what I would do without my festering cauldron of rage on my dresser.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think if I were you I'd leave her alone now, the corn starch won't harm her but more stress wouldn't help.

Latest posts