• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bit the cricket then dropped it

meag

3 Year Member
Hi so I've only ever had Texas brown tarantulas that I would find at my ranch. this is the first store bought and arboreal species I've ever owned. She mostly stays in her web hammock, but when a cricket finally braves her web she will typically be able to catch it. I just fed her and she attacked and bit the cricket, so its dead, but dropped it at the edge of her web and walked a bit away from it.... should I just leave it there? will she come back for it? or should I removed it after a day or two?

update: cricket was not dead i guess because just checked again and it is MIA somewhere hiding in the enclosure because its not where it was when she dropped it and its not in her mouth.
Why did she drop it in the first place???

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No way to know really. sometimes they'll kill the prey to protect themselves if they're in premolt. She may just be a picky eater. My B. albiceps won't touch a dubia roach, he'll slap it away, or kill it and leave it if it doesn't run after being slapped, but he eats lateralis roaches and crickets like candy.

Try feeding it in a few days and see if it eats.

Latest posts