• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best T for a newb?

Aleman732

3 Year Member
So my local Reptile/Exotic shop only has pinktoe, rosehair, and redknee. I was dead set on getting a rosehair, but I've recently heard that they may not be the best for a beginner since they can be moody/unpredictable.
What do yall more experienced individuals think? This'll be my first T.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Out of the three, I would go with the B. smithi (redknee). They start off as skittish little slings and juveniles, but they grown into fairly calm adults. Of course, temperament can vary between specimens.

My first tarantula was a G. porteri (rose hair) and I still think that they can be good beginner Ts. However, temperament may vary (the idea that they are all docile is a myth) and their propensity to fast for long periods of time can give keepers fits. I would honestly point to the fasting as the bigger issue.

A. avicularia (pinktoe)can be good beginner T, as it's generally docile and easy to care for, but this species is a bit less forgiving to husbandry mistakes than the others.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agreed. the extended fasting of the porteri/rosea is frustrating, even to those that aren't new to raising Ts. I'd also go with the B. smithi. easy to care for and beautiful as adults.

Avic's I wouldn't go with as a beginner, even the slightly seasoned noob that I am I sometimes have issues with my avics if they escape. They're fast and like to jump. Right when you think it's stopped it's 3 ft sprint and you can cup it it jumps off the desk to the floor and runs. I'd wait on the avic for a bit ;)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I love my G. rosea/porteri, but I agree that they are not the best species for beginners. While their care is very low maintenance, and they are very forgiving of the mistakes that new people to the hobby can make, they can be very frustrating at times. They are not very active and their long periods of fasting can be very worrisome.
If I were to do it all over again - a B. albopilosum would be my first choice. Out of the three that you mention - I would vote on the B. smithi as well, even though I don't have a lot of experience with them.
I just picked up a couple the other night and they are lovely little beings.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
I would say the B. smithi as well, even though I'm a complete noob with tarantulas I can at least say my B. albo is an amazing specimen, always super busy (he/she is busy completely bulldozing his/her enclosure as I type this [emoji14] ). Oh and an amazing temperament (even for a sling) and a fantastic eater. (S)he has already taken down a cricket and a mealworm in the week since I got him/her and the mealworm was as long as (s)he is!

TLDR: brachys are amazing. Get a brachy

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All three are great beginner Ts. So is a Lasiodora parahybana, and its cheaper, grows one hell of a lot faster, eats like a machine, and gets at least 8" in legspan. I guess my point is, dont limit yourself to 3 choices at a local pet store, you can buy from a reputable breeder online and pay for shipping, and still save money:)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Does your pet store have knowledgeable staff and are Ts kept at good and proper conditions? How big are the Ts and how are these fed in there? Do you know their gender? Have you covered a lot in your research and are you prepared to handle in case of emergencies?

It is better to enter into the hobby with less hassle and less frustrations and get a T from a reputable dealer online or a known local breeder where you can be sure that the T is healthy and free from parasites and with better disposition due to proper care conditions.

It is very good that you have taken the initiative to become a member here, a forum where I am sure that you will get invaluable information in your journey to T keeping.

Not really answering your query but just my two cents. Good luck! :T:

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I would also say B.Smithi. I mean, my G.Porteri is awesome, has always been a great eater with a great temperament but I've heard differently from others.

Personally, I'm just not a huge fan of Avics. Thus far they have bored me.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would also say B.Smithi. I mean, my G.Porteri is awesome, has always been a great eater with a great temperament but I've heard differently from others.

Personally, I'm just not a huge fan of Avics. Thus far they have bored me.
I agree. I like my 2 avics, beautiful colors, but they don't catch my interest like the terrestrials I have.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally love my Avic, he has the most character out of all of my T's, you haters. :p
I think I got the dunces of the litters lol. The versicolor is cool. I love the colors and the changes each molt. But he doesn't do anything. His web is done. I haven't seen any work on that since a week after his rehouse, give or take. The sp. Peru purple lives on the ground, but is fun to watch at feeding time. Otherwise he just sits there in his web.

All my others are bulldozers or remodelers, they're always doing something.

I guess I expected the my Avic guys to be a bit more active.

syzygy

3 Year Member
I'm going to 2nd (or are we up to 6th or 7th) going with the smithi out of this group. Both males and females are beauties and typically eat dependably, stay fairly calm and remain visible and active as adults.

Latest posts