• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Tarantula eats alot

Vik

3 Year Member
Hello there, I have recently bought a Baby Tarantula she is about 1 1/2- 2 inches big but she eats like a pig about 3-4 sometimes even more crickets per day (these are the small ones) I have been reading alot and did ask the guy at the shop and everyone seems to say the cannot over feed etc and they should be fed 1-2 times per week but mine seems to be always hungry! What is the matter with her? I am so worried :(

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless your are trying to speed up the life cycle, I would stick with 2-3 times per week. Lots of collectors "Power Feed" to try to get their slings to grow or get the T's in shape for mating. So, nothing wrong. Just make sure you do not leave live crickets in the tank that are uneaten. Bad things can happen.

Vik

3 Year Member
Thank you!! I don't leave anything she eats them whole it seems.

I just don't want her to go hungry that's all not too fussed about her speedy growth

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Because your T is a prey animal there is a possibility that it will go after it's food every time you put something in there. At that size I only feed my Ts 2x per week at the absolute most. You don't want a fat T that can't move around. :)

Vik

3 Year Member
he he he thought they cannot get fat :) but I am happy to say she has slowed down just has one per two days now and she doesn't seem to like anymore, she just digs tunnels and being noisey :)

Poec54

3 Year Member
Unless your are trying to speed up the life cycle, I would stick with 2-3 times per week. Lots of collectors "Power Feed" to try to get their slings to grow or get the T's in shape for mating. So, nothing wrong. Just make sure you do not leave live crickets in the tank that are uneaten. Bad things can happen.

2 or 3 times a week is good for slings. Daily is overkill.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello there, I have recently bought a Baby Tarantula she is about 1 1/2- 2 inches big but she eats like a pig about 3-4 sometimes even more crickets per day (these are the small ones) I have been reading alot and did ask the guy at the shop and everyone seems to say the cannot over feed etc and they should be fed 1-2 times per week but mine seems to be always hungry! What is the matter with her? I am so worried :(
Hello
I would say feeding a sling from under 2cm,I feed 3 times a week. I will feed like that until about 3inches,then I start scaling down. Now remember,you have to accommodate for specimen type,like say dwarf species etc. My large specimens maybe get fed once a week,and I have never lost a specimen nor do I have one with a small abdomen. I only feed prey equal to abdomen size,not a rule but has worked for me.

Feeder quality is also something that comes into play,when I was feeding crickets I fed more frequently. Since I went over to roaches it went down,not shooting crickets down,but an overall change in all my specimens must mean something ? Since if it was only a few,I could chalk it up as coincidence.