• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. smithi sling enclosure....

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Hello. So, in preparation for my new Ts' arrival, I put together this enclosure for the B. smithi sling, which I purchased at 1/4" inches from MIchael at Inland Exotics and decided to share the process in pictorial form for newer (or experienced) members of the hobby to enjoy. I will be posting the fashioning of the P. murinus' enclosure when I see what is what with its size etc. They are due to arrive in the post later this morning. Hope you like it :)

1. I started with the sling enclosure I got from Jamie's Tarantulas when I got my very first sling round about two years ago now, my GBB Jewelz, and a tiny seed pot I found at a craft store.

IMG_1088_zpswsbcnvai.jpg

Filled both cup and enclosure with fresh, slightly moistened cocoa fiber, and sterilized a small stone I had in my box of "spidey stuff" The stone is there to give the sling a drier, harder place to hang out on if it gets tired of its moister hide, and I prefer the cocoa fiber as substrate because it cuts down on the chance of mold.

IMG_1089_zpsxqyl948l.jpg

IMG_1091_zpswbxe7i3z.jpg

Buried both the stone and the seed cup into the substrate....

IMG_1092_zpsceqgepxm.jpg

IMG_1093_zpsj7ao6uzq.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsraz9zwa5.jpg

IMG_1095_zpselxdwgxr.jpg

IMG_1096_zpsegojbjix.jpg

IMG_1097_zpszwthrxha.jpg

And VOILA!! There we have it! A 1/4" B. smithi sling penthouse worthy of Paris Hilton herself!! (were that she were as easy to please as a T :p)

IMG_1099_zpshbqsdr6h.jpg

Last edited:

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
He will feel like a king or queen :) in that penthouse ,looks good to me not dry and not soggy .I don't really like keeping anything on a total dry sub .just my preference though might not work for all keepers :) enjoy the new comers

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
He will feel like a king or queen :) in that penthouse ,looks good to me not dry and not soggy .I don't really like keeping anything on a total dry sub .just my preference though might not work for all keepers :) enjoy the new comers

Hello and thank you! I agree with you about the totally dry sub. Except for the juvie OBT, he or she will get a drier substrate than this B. smithi has, being that they like a more arid environment. I will give it a soda pop cap with a pebble in it for a water dish, and think this might afford it all the humidity it needs. I might moisten a corner of the medium KK I plan on housing it in to raise the humidity level once in a while, especially during pre molt. I'm so excited. Every car that passes I'm at the window hoping it's the post LOL

Wg25

3 Year Member
That actually looks like an arboreal enclosure but it will do just fine. B.Smithi slings like to burrow so maybe get a cup or little plastic pot that you can cut in half so if he want to make a little hide he can burrow down a bit.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks sweet, I'm guessing it's going to burrow under everything so keep a.close eye so nothing tumbles down on it. One of mine has managed to burrow in such a way that it's buried the entire cork bark hide I made it, I'll shoot you a picture later. Silly sling is psychotic I swear lol

Last edited:

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
That actually looks like an arboreal enclosure but it will do just fine. B.Smithi slings like to burrow so maybe get a cup or little plastic pot that you can cut in half so if he want to make a little hide he can burrow down a bit.

Yes, I had thought about that, but for now, until it's a wee bit larger, I'm going to keep the cup in there so when I go to rehouse, I don't have to dig through so much substrate to find it and possible hurt it somehow. I'm also thinking of adding a bit more substrate to prevent any injuries from a fall. Thanks so much for your input. much appreciated and most valuable :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Looks sweet, I'm guessing it's going to burrow under everything so keep a.close eye so nothing tumbles down on it. One of mine has manages to burrow in such a way that it's buried the entire cork bark hide I made it, I'll shoot you a picture later. Silly sling is psychotic I swear lol

LOL as soon as she was in her enclosure, she ignored all my efforts and snuggled herself between the side of the enclosure and the bottom of the seed cup.. sigh.. Mother Nature's little idea of a "so, you think you know it all, huh?" LOL

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
when i first started in the hobby i thought it would be cool to help the Ts and make a hide for them similar to yours. of our 7 Ts only the B. boehmei used the hide i made for him. the others all burrowed wherever they wanted, and usually covered the hide with the loose substrate. I keep fighting my B. albo. I go to fill his water dish and it's covered in substrate almost every time lol.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well they both do best with bone-dry substrate, and while both are tough species and highly adaptable, the OBT could probably deal with moisture a bit better, not that it needs it either.