• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Dubia question

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dubia dont hurt the spiders right? I lost a roach in 2 enclosures tonight. couldnt find them. They wont munch on a tarantula if it decides to molt will they?

micheldied

3 Year Member
Dubia dont hurt the spiders right? I lost a roach in 2 enclosures tonight. couldnt find them. They wont munch on a tarantula if it decides to molt will they?

It's possible they will when they get hungry. Roaches need to eat too. I wouldn't take apart the entire enclosure just to find them, but if you do see them still walking around uneaten I'd remove them.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I crush their heads before dropping them in. This causes them to wander around like zombies and prevents them from burrowing or disappearing. Although it's possible they could munch on a molting tarantula, I haven't heard of any accounts of it actually happening.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I crush their heads before dropping them in. This causes them to wander around like zombies and prevents them from burrowing or disappearing. Although it's possible they could munch on a molting tarantula, I haven't heard of any accounts of it actually happening.
I've never tried crushing dubia heads...maybe I'll try that. Although it is fun to catch a spider digging one up:)

micheldied

3 Year Member
There was a thread on another forum a while ago where a member lost a bunch of Brachypelma albopilosum(could be another Brachypelma species) slings. He found one living inside his Dubia bin, and decided to leave it there to see what would happen. The T was (obviously) feeding very well, and lived there for quite a while(a couple of molts), but eventually it was eaten by the roaches.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There was a thread on another forum a while ago where a member lost a bunch of Brachypelma albopilosum(could be another Brachypelma species) slings. He found one living inside his Dubia bin, and decided to leave it there to see what would happen. The T was (obviously) feeding very well, and lived there for quite a while(a couple of molts), but eventually it was eaten by the roaches.
You know, I'm going to have to disregard a story like that, by a guy that would let his spider live in a dubia colony, after "losing a bunch of slings" That's just me though, my own personal choice. Call me crazy :rolleyes: Nothing against you, you're just repeating a story, but the guy in question sounds a bit like an idiot to me.

Fleas

3 Year Member
Wow that guy did not seem to bright in the first place losing lots of sling's and then when he did find one he had no remorse for it. Left it to suffer with a colony of roaches that are starving so much they ate it. Am surprised that t did not dye of stress. The only time I heard B Dubai having cannibalistic acts was when the male to female ratio are the same or greater, that the male's eat off the nymphs in stress finding a mate and can't escape the colony problem's. Kind of sounds like an unbelievable story, if true booo to that t keeper.:eek:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah i gotta agree. sounds like a buncha BS to me. Losing all those spiders and then finding them and leaving it where it is just to see what would happen? i dont see what good coulda came outta that if it is true. cruelty...

micheldied

3 Year Member
Wow that guy did not seem to bright in the first place losing lots of sling's and then when he did find one he had no remorse for it. Left it to suffer with a colony of roaches that are starving so much they ate it. Am surprised that t did not dye of stress. The only time I heard B Dubai having cannibalistic acts was when the male to female ratio are the same or greater, that the male's eat off the nymphs in stress finding a mate and can't escape the colony problem's. Kind of sounds like an unbelievable story, if true booo to that t keeper.:eek:

The story is true. He updated it over the span of a couple of weeks, with pictures, and I followed it. You could see the molts and boluses hanging around the spot the little T chose. The T was definitely not stressed. It was really fat until the day it was eaten.
I believe he had bred them, and the slings were to be sold or something like that, but they somehow managed to get out(I don't remember how).
He left it in(only one was in the bin) there just to see what would happen, and most of the comments in the thread told him to leave it in there as well, since it had survived 2 or 3 molts before he even found it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess some people just get bored...I really don't see the point of the little experiment. I mean, it's a colony of omnivores..the whole experiment reminds me of this idiot on youtube, Scott Manly, making his versicolor swim in a bathtub. Yes, spiders can swim, it was proven long go, but this guy want's to dunk his in the bathtub because he saw it on tv..what's the point? Other than childish self amusement? The spider immediately tries to get back on his hand, because they don't like swimming, they do it when they have to. Watching the video, I wanted to slap him upside his head, and maybe dunk him a few times, see how he liked it. The hobby is riddled with these kinds of people. But I guess some people don't feel overly protective of animals in their care. It's their choice though...:(

Last edited:

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Yes, it sure is. Haha. I just got sick of thinking the spider ate only to have a bigger roach reappear a month later. lol

Happened to me! Threw my A. seemanni a couple once they were gone! the next day I thought, awesome! Bout a week ago this TANK of a dubia come burrowing to the top!
You can imagine my surprise... So went grab some crickets, she hit them, went back to her hide happy as could be...meanwhile... There are still 2 dubias running around her enclosure.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After reading over this, I honestly believe sometimes it's the keepers that need to be kept in an enclosure :/
Total ass if you ask me. I even stress over keeping the damn crickets and meal worms healthy and happy, organic grains and vegetables etc. and their just feeders. No possible way I'd make mine swim or use them in an experiment that way.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
People like this are what I call "Shock Value Consumers" I worked at a little petshop for a while, didn't do too much helped where I could, but I would help with finding people their right pets! I DID turn several people away from T's due to the fact that they would tell me "Oh man I could scare the hell out everyone with that thing!" A blank state would cross my face, and I would sigh...

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member

Like said, might hurt a molting T. I drop live ones in with the 2 T stirmi I have,because they annihilate them right away, but crush the heads for my other T's, unless they're much smaller than the T. This way they "wander" but don't dig into the substrate. Same with superworms.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I guess some people just get bored...I really don't see the point of the little experiment. I mean, it's a colony of omnivores..the whole experiment reminds me of this idiot on youtube, Scott Manly, making his versicolor swim in a bathtub. Yes, spiders can swim, it was proven long go, but this guy want's to dunk his in the bathtub because he saw it on tv..what's the point? Other than childish self amusement? The spider immediately tries to get back on his hand, because they don't like swimming, they do it when they have to. Watching the video, I wanted to slap him upside his head, and maybe dunk him a few times, see how he liked it. The hobby is riddled with these kinds of people. But I guess some people don't feel overly protective of animals in their care. It's their choice though...:(

I'll play devil's advocate here. Many of the experienced guys on that board have very large collections, and see them as that, a collection(more so than pets). Now, purposely dunking a spider into water is arguably different from leaving a spider in a roach bin that had already safely molted in it several times. The risk was definitely there(and of course, the spider ended up being eaten), but a lot of the information we have in this hobby comes from experimentation. It was an unnecessary death, but it was a sling he bred himself, and that he had tons of(I know, it doesn't justify the death). He wasn't a noob either, a pretty experienced breeder and keeper. IMO it's only as bad as those who try communals, which can work, or can result in the death of one or many spiders, or breeders/dealers that have thousands of spiders and can't put in the same care you can for one or two spiders, which inevitably leads to a few losses here and there. Are these people irresponsible as well?

Latest posts