• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Metallica

jcrocv

I have had an avicularia for around 2 months now.. it is about 4-5 inches in size. It has been webbing up the plants in its enclosure.. it hasnt eaten at all and is skittish towards prey.. any idea what might be going on? Pre-molt fasting?

Salatia

My first question is whether it is a mature male, ie has palpal emboli on the pedipalps - a swollen bulb-like shape on the end, where on females they look just like the feet essentially.

Pre-moult could also be a possibility. Whilst the common sign mentioned is darkening of the abdomen, particularly where there are bald spots on terrestrials, I've noticed in my Avics with pale coloured legs that this showing of the new exoskeleton forming produces a 'ghost-like' colouration. Actually find it hard to describe any other way, but the inner areas of the legs look darker, which contrasted with the exterior areas - the space from the current exo to the new - makes them look extra pale.

Finally, the fact that they're webbing up the plants could be indicative also of pre-moult, but otherwise could just be that they'll be more comfortable eating once they've got their 'home' set up and secure, a safe place to retreat to. They don't realise that any threat is unlikely. If you haven't seen how they usually construct their retreats, they kind of combine a web funnel/tornado with web tunnels - basically the centre will likely be obscured, but they have their tunnels and will likely have various exits/entrances where they'll hang out, like you'll see their legs hanging about, when wanting food

Heretic

A buddy told me he doesnt feed his unless he sees it in an entrance hole. while they will come out to eat, the will sit at the entrance when they want food. this might be learned behavior or instinct.

Latest posts