• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are essential oils harmful to tarantulas ?

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hello there, here with a new question :D.

I was wondering, as you just read the tittle, can the essential oils harm a tarantula ? It may maybe depend of the oil, but in general ? I've read few things, but it's really vague. Have someone used essential oils in the same room as the T's, with any negative effects on the long term ?

If someone can help me about this, it would be cool, as I planned to buy an essential oils vaporizer, it may help me do not do anything stupid. For now, I would not try anything.

This may be a list of the oils that should not be used for sure xD
Using-Essential-Oil-To-Keep-Spiders-Away-by-Organic-Aromas.jpg

Thanks you ! Wishing you a nice day

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is a disease known as dks that is virtually 100% fatal to tarantulas. If you have to ask about a chemical, assume the answer is no. Various chemicals have been suspected as a cause (s) of this.

Not a lot is known about their physiology and a lot of basic questions still aren't answered. When you dig into the details, the gaps of knowledge are quite shocking.

I don't even go near mine if I have cologne on or even just after putting gel in my hair before it dries. If I'm doing anything with chemicals, such as using soft scrub in the bathroom, I don't go near them until I take a shower and change all my clothes and decontaminate. Better safe then sorry!!

Cedar wood as a substrate or in the area is also a big no no.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
May I just point out that DKS is not a disease but a symptom thought to be as a result of chemicals amongst other things. I won't use anything in the room where my Ts are just in case.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought the cause was unknown but chemicals were suspected.

Still, I don't want to find out!!

I feel like it's a jinx just to think about it!?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I thought the cause was unknown but chemicals were suspected.

Still, I don't want to find out!!

I feel like it's a jinx just to think about it!?
Chemicals are one possible cause but it is also thought that it could be caused by genetics. As I say it is only a symptom and could be caused by many different things.

Latest posts