• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arboreal Suggestions

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Hello friends,
I'm a new hobbiest and I'm looking for recommendations for my first arboreal species. I do enjoy handling so I'm interested in docile species that didn't mind the attention. My current collection is all new world Ts and for now I think that's what I'm looking for. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
C. versicolor are pretty good beginners. But remember avics, caribena, ybrapora Sp. can and will be skittish and likely will be jumping. Slings can be tricky to raise, I've had no luck with slings, as I've already lost 3 C. versicolor slings. The trick I now know what the issue was.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
C. versicolor are pretty good beginners. But remember avics, caribena, ybrapora Sp. can and will be skittish and likely will be jumping. Slings can be tricky to raise, I've had no luck with slings, as I've already lost 3 C. versicolor slings. The trick I now know what the issue was.
Thank you for the advice!

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
Caribena Versicolor are really pretty! I have two slings and they are doing fine! They are blue as babies then green, purple and red as adults. I keep mine in 32oz fruit fly cups with lots of ventilation holes. Sub is dry apart from letting the water bowl overflow once a week or so. I don't see them much as they are always in their webs but that may be because they are still tiny.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Caribena Versicolor are really pretty! I have two slings and they are doing fine! They are blue as babies then green, purple and red as adults. I keep mine in 32oz fruit fly cups with lots of ventilation holes. Sub is dry apart from letting the water bowl overflow once a week or so. I don't see them much as they are always in their webs but that may be because they are still tiny.

I have had my eyes on a gorgeous Versicolor. Do they web extensively, and is this common for arboreal? Thanks for the advice!

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
Both my slings have made good webs that they spend most of the time in. I've only had them a few months but they haven't added to the webs they made when they first arrived. One has made a nice tube like web up under the lid and it extends about half way around and the other has made a web behind a but if cork.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Versicolor has a wonderful web.

Although some Ts may tolerate handling more then others, it's never a good idea to handle a T unless some sort of emergency requires doing so. They aren't social animals and don't understand the concepts behind it. A tarantula is like a tropical fish, look but don't touch.

Once you accept that, many problems go away.

C versicolor 11-7-17 molt 2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts