• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arboreal dangers for a tiny climber

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The crickets seem unable to climb the plastic to even reach the holes. The head and body of the tarantula are too wide to go through. If anything I'll duct tape it. Whens the time to move her to a bigger enclosure?

when she's more than half the width of this one is how i do it. Then i upgrade them to one with a width at least twice their dls to give them a molt or 3 to live in before disturbing them with a rehousing again.

swimbait

3 Year Member
You could rehouse that spider now into a gallon plastic container from walmart, if you wanted to. Or you could wait a molt. I have 10 P. cambridgei that I put into that size enclosure at about 2.5". Yours doesn't look to far off. I'm struggling to find a pic online. I will take a pic of one of my set ups an post it in a bit.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I have them all setup the same general way, containers like such and piece of bark. I glue waterbowl up top
20160121_200845.jpg
This is what the majority of them do, build a cave between the cork and the wall
20160121_200853.jpg
My one Pcam that actually opted to be arboreal lol
20160121_201037.jpg

spider4747

3 Year Member
My Cambridge built a cave in that manner as well; I'm presuming they don't actually need any contact with the water?

swimbait

3 Year Member
My Cambridge built a cave in that manner as well; I'm presuming they don't actually need any contact with the water?

Contact, no. Access, yes. I see my Pcams drinking out of their waterbowls all the time. Substrate wise I keep them all on dry sub,occasionally ill poor some water in or mist it but not often. I mist the enclosures 1-2 times a week, but I don't even think its entirely necessary. I'm confident this species can live on bone dry substrate as long as you have a waterbowl.

swimbait

3 Year Member
As I sit here and look at the pics I posted, something came to me that never has before. My only Pcam that has chosen to be arboreal is in the enclosure that I decided to try less ventilation on. You can tell the difference in holes drilled by looking at the pics. Maybe, there is too much airflow for them up there so they decide to settle down bellow it. Hmmmm, could just be a coincidence, also is the only enclosure with elm bark and not cork bark....coincidence too.., maybe it's just the spider.

spider4747

3 Year Member
What if the water bowl to me is a hassle as opposed to misting once a week?

That soil stays moist for some time, i hardly see a need for the second time. the humidity is in the enclosure is discernible. Outside is cold-ish but insideI think she has her 75-78 degree paradise. i'm presuming when the temp spikes to 95 in the summer its not going to totally harm the spider?

swimbait

3 Year Member
What if the water bowl to me is a hassle as opposed to misting once a week?

That soil stays moist for some time, i hardly see a need for the second time. the humidity is in the enclosure is discernible. Outside is cold-ish but insideI think she has her 75-78 degree paradise. i'm presuming when the temp spikes to 95 in the summer its not going to totally harm the spider?

Well people have different views. If your tarantula decides its thirsty it can't just suck water out of the soil. In my opinion, the only time I keep species with no waterbowl is when they essentially won't let me, and I personally gut loaded everything they're being fed with fruits and veggies. Tarantulas are mores susceptible to dehydration than people think. I still think your enclosure doesn't have enough ventilation. If you can mist the cage, and it stays wet for 5 or so days, there is not enough imo. The heat shouldn't hurt your tarantula because I'm assuming you don't let your house get 95 degrees. If for some reason you do, it could be too warm

spider4747

3 Year Member
Well the definition of biochemical life is essentially water and metabolic processes and their components and tarantulas are a living thing so of course. This is a species from a forest after all! Trinidad even. she has a water dish on the ground now.

shes been building and building and building. I'm poking more holes into this.I lined the entire side with holes using a knive to screw into the plastic perse. but this work shes done is quite impressive and she's more active than my other critters.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you'd be better off fastening a screen over the top of the glass than cutting more holes in the pot on top of it.