• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aphonopelma bicoloratum 10 months underground

My Aphonopelma bicoloratum disappeared almost 10 months ago. The last time I offered water or food was around Christmas. I was going to wait until the 1 year mark to check on her but my brother caught a jumping spider and didn't know what to do so he started picking my brain. In the process I got all excited and decided it was long enough that she'd been hidden.

I know, I know. I've heard it and said it. "If they can close themselves off, they can dig back out too."

Alas! She is alive and she molted once.

Picture from last year.
20200921_161510.jpg

Here she is this morning.
20210627_061826.jpg

Enjoy!

prince charmless

My A. Seemanni did the same thing. Refused food and went into hiding for months. Finally it molted and scattered pieces of the molt from one end of the enclosure to the other, so I still have no idea what gender it is. I have since rehoused it. It is accepting food, but it is a "pet hole". I believe Aphonopelmas and other genuses native to more arid environments can go for very long periods without feeding with no apparent ill effects.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. Seemanni did the same thing. Refused food and went into hiding for months. Finally it molted and scattered pieces of the molt from one end of the enclosure to the other, so I still have no idea what gender it is. I have since rehoused it. It is accepting food, but it is a "pet hole". I believe Aphonopelmas and other genuses native to more arid environments can go for very long periods without feeding with no apparent ill effects.
concur. Aphropelma sp. seem to live life in the slow lane to extremes. Kinda like watching a bathtub full of water evaporate. Love them, but they do teach patience.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I admire your patience. I don't think I could wait 10 months. Glad things worked out.

Latest posts